CAMPUS EVENTS

CAMPUS+EVENTS

Soup-Kitchen-sm.jpg
Image from snapjaxx

by Josiah Thomas, Campus Life Editor

Toys for Tots
Now to Dec. 10
Help a child in need this holiday season. Donate by placing new, unwrapped toys in boxes located at Biomedical Technology Center, Forum, Applied Sciences, Bookstore, Physical Education, Jeffress Center, Liberal Arts, or McDowell Center on campus.
Participants can also drop off toys at the Student Activities Office, located at the VisTaTech Center in the Lower Waterman Wing.
For more information, contact the Student Activities Office at (734)-462-4422.
Divorce Solution Essentials – Money Matters in Divorce
Dec. 3, 4 to 6 p.m.
McDowell Center, Hinkle Center, MC 119
Money Matters in Divorce provides an opportunity to speak with a certified divorce financial analyst about the financial concerns relative to divorce. All sessions are facilitated by Vicki D. McLellan, a certified divorce financial analyst from Equitable Divorce Resolutions in Royal Oak. Clients will be seen on a first-come, first-served basis. Anyone interested may sign in beginning at 3:30 p.m. on the day of the program. This service is free of charge and open to the public.
For more information, please contact the Hinkle Center at 734-462-4443 or [email protected]
Financial Management
Dec. 4, 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Jeffress Center, Rm. JC123
Become familiar with the basics of financial management. Topics covered include: how to apply the information from key financial statements to help you manage your accounting language, including debits and credits; preparation of the balance sheet and profit and loss statement; cash flow analysis; and break even with specific small business examples.
Fee: $45.00.  Registration Now Open. Registration is a two-step process.
Contact the Business Development Center at 734-462-4438 or visit their website at schoolcraft.edu/bdc for more info.
Empty Bowl Luncheon
Dec. 5, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Wilson Room, VisTaTech Center
Help us Erase Hunger by attending the Empty Bowl Luncheon. At the luncheon attendees will be able to purchase a hand-crafted bowl created and donated by Schoolcraft ceramic students.  Attendees will then be able to enjoy a bowl of hearty soup donated by the Schoolcraft Food Service Department and fresh baked bread donated by the Culinary Arts Department.
For more information, please contact the Student Activities Office at [email protected] or at 734-462-4422.
Wednesday Noon Classical Concert, Today’s Brass Quintet
Dec. 5, 12 to 1 p.m.
Kehrl Auditorium, VisTaTech Center
Today’s Brass Quintet programs its original arrangements from a full spectrum of styles, ranging from the sparkling baroque masterpieces of Bach and Pachelbel to the toe-tapping pleasures of Sousa, Gershwin and Ellington. Interesting commentary familiarizes the audience with the composers and their music, making for delightful entertainment sure to please all ages.
The Noon Concert events are free, open to the public and last approximately one hour.
Your donation at the door will help fund student scholarships.
For more information contact Patricia Minnick by email at [email protected], by phone at 734-462-4403, or visit schoolcraft.edu/music.
Anime Night
Dec. 5 and 6, 4:15 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Bradner Library room 110
Meet fellow fans, watch anime, and have fun. Attendees choose what anime we watch.
Once a month, one participant will receive a free 48-hour guest pass to Crunchyroll anime streaming service. Schoolcraft is able to provide this service thanks to Crunchyroll.com, which has an outreach program for libraries that allows us to stream anime for free.
Contact Joseph Miller by email [email protected] or by phone at 734-462-7674 for more info.
Putting Social Media to Work for Your Business
Dec. 6, 4 to 7 p.m.
Jeffress Center, Room 113 (Use Southeast entrance)
Connect with prospective customers, raise awareness of your brand, increase traffic to your website, and grow your business in this advanced, hands-on class. Discover how to select and manage the right social media platform(s) for your product or service.
Requirement: Student must have valid email address Prerequisite: Basic knowledge of social media platforms. Fee: $45.00 Registration is now open. Registration is a two-step process.
For more information, please contact the Business Development club by email at 734-462-4438
or visit schoolcraft.edu/bdc.
Bach Festival Honors Recital
Dec. 7, 6 to 7 p.m.
Kehrl Auditorium, VisTaTech Center
In an effort to encourage excellence in musical performance and to recognize excellent teaching in the Metropolitan Detroit-Ann Arbor area, Schoolcraft College sponsors three Festival events each year in which students have the opportunity to perform and receive evaluations from a panel of judges. Students selected by the judges will perform in the Honors Recital.
Volunteer at St. Leo’s Soup Kitchen
Dec. 8, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Student Activities Office, Lower Waterman Wing, VisTaTech Center
Join Student Activities to volunteer at St. Leo’s Soup Kitchen in Detroit. Meet at the Student Activities Office at 8 a.m. to carpool.  Phi Theta Kappa members will earn 1/4 star per hour for attending. Anyone is welcome to attend.
Sounds of the Season Concert
Dec. 8, 7:30 to 8:30 p.m.
DiPonio Room, VisTaTech Center
The annual concert will a selection of holiday music performed by Collegiate Chorale, Synthesizer Ensemble and the Schoolcraft Wind Ensemble.
Admission to the concert is free, and donations will be accepted at the door to help fund student scholarships.
Divorce Solution Essentials – Ask an Attorney
Dec. 11, 4 to 6 p.m.
McDowell Student Center, Hinkle Center, MC 119
Ask an Attorney provides individuals with an opportunity to ask an attorney about matters related to divorce and family law. Patricia A. Kassody-Coyle of Jackman & Kasody, PLLC will be the attorney scheduled to speak with individuals one-on-one. Clients will be seen on a first-come, first-served basis. Anyone interested may sign in beginning at 3:30 p.m. on the day of the program. This service is free of charge and open to the public.
Government Contracting 101
Dec. 12, 9 a.m.
Jeffress Center, Room 123
What does it take to become a successful government contractor? What services and resources are available to a small business pursuing the government market? Find out what it takes to sell your goods and services to the federal government and the State of Michigan. In addition, learn about the services and continuous support the Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC) has available to help your company with the contracting process.
Fee is $45. Access WebAdvisor to register. Contact Kara or Shannon via email at [email protected] or by phone at 734-462-4438 for more info.
Divorce Solution Essentials – Ask An Attorney
Dec. 17, 4 p.m.
Ask an Attorney provides individuals with an opportunity to ask an attorney about matters related to divorce and family law. Katherine Krysak of Fausone Bohn will be the attorney scheduled to speak with individuals one-on-one. Clients will be seen on a first-come, first-served basis. Anyone interested may sign in beginning at 3:30 p.m. on the day of the program. This service is free of charge and open to the public.
Winter Wonders Concert – Schoolcraft College Jazz Studies Program
Dec. 17, 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.
The Schoolcraft Jazz Studies Program under the direction of Dr. Riccardo Selva presents the Annual Winter Wonders Concert.
The repertoire for both large and small groups will consist of traditional, contemporary, and holiday jazz arrangements featuring the talented musicians of the Jazz Ensemble, Vocal Jazz Ensemble, and Jazz Improvisation Combo. Admission is free.  Donations will be gratefully accepted at the door and will be used to fund student scholarships and the Jazz Program.
For more information contact Patricia Minnick by email at [email protected], by phone at 734-462-4403, or by visiting schoolcraft.edu/music
Coffee and Contracting
Dec. 18, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Starbucks’ Coffee, 2080 N. Telegraph Rd, Monroe , Mich.
Join our PTAC Counselors for a coffee meeting to discuss government contracting, procurement assistance, and other relevant contracting topics.  No registration is necessary.
Contact Kara or Shannon VIA email at [email protected] or by phone at 734-462-4438 for more info.
Small Business Leadership
Jan. 10, 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Jeffress Center, Room 123
What does it take to lead a successful small business in today’s competitive market?  Find answers as you explore topics including:  examining how your company’s mission, vision and core values can be utilized for effective daily operation; progressive interviewing and retention strategies to ensure a best fit for employees; and implementation of a strengths-based authentic leadership approach to create a positive company culture.
Entrepreneur Series
Jan. 10, 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Jeffress Center, Rm. JC123
The first two years of a new business can be challenging.  Join us for a money saving series that covers the key topics needed for a young company to grow and succeed.  Small Business Leadership, Marketing Your Business, Business Legal Issues, and Financial Management. Fee: $169.00. Registration Opens November 15th Registration is a two-step process.
Launching Your New Business
Jan. 15, 6 to 8 p.m.
Jeffress Center, Room 123
Are you in the beginning stages of starting a business?  Come join fellow aspiring entrepreneurs to evaluate the market potential of your product/service and learn about available resources to help launch your new business.  Topics include:  funding sources, developing your value proposition, using market research, and the basics for creating a business plan.
Fee: $49.00.  Registration Opens November 15th. Registration is a two-step process.