Campus Club Events

Growing-Business
Image from greenhornconnect.com

Compiled by Josiah Thomas, Campus Life Editor

Divorce Solution Essentials – Money Matters in Divorce
Feb. 4
4 to 6 p.m.
McDowell Center, Rm. 119
“Money Matters” in Divorce provides an opportunity to speak with a certified divorce financial analyst about the financial concerns relative to divorce. All sessions are facilitated by Vicki D. McLellan, a certified divorce financial analyst from Equitable Divorce Resolutions in Royal Oak. Clients will be seen on a first-come, first-served basis. Anyone interested may sign in beginning at 3:30 p.m. on the day of the program.
For more information, please contact the Hinkle Center at 734-462-4443 or [email protected]
Grifols on Campus Recruiting
Feb. 5
11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Henry’s Food Court, VisTaTech Center
Recruiters from Grifols will be on hand to discuss job and career opportunities and accept resumes from interested applicants. Grifols, S.A. is a multinational pharmaceutical and chemical manufacturer and a producer of blood plasma-based products, a field in which it is the European leader and largest worldwide. The company also supplies devices, instruments, and reagents for clinical testing laboratories. Please dress business casual and bring copies of your resume.
For more information, please contact the Career Services Office at 734-462-4421 or [email protected]
Get Your Business Found on Google
Feb. 5
1 to 2:30 p.m.
Jeffress Center, Rm. 123
Learn how to use Google My Business, a free tool that will help manage business information across Google. Google My Business also helps potential buyers find and connect through Google Search and Maps. To qualify for a Google business listing, businesses must meet with customers face-to-face, at a store or within a specified local service area. Certain types of businesses are not eligible for a Google business listing.
Seating is limited. Pre-registration is required. A personal laptop or tablet is required.
Contact the Business Development Center at 734-462-4438 or visit their website at schoolcraft.edu/bdc for more info.
Cooking Up a Successful Food Related Business
Feb. 5
6 to 9 p.m.
Applied Sciences Building, Rm. 374
Fee: $249
Learn about creating business in the food industry from costing and sourcing, to cutting through the seemingly endless red-tape. The course runs for five weeks, between Feb. 5 through March 5. Contact the Business Development Center at 734-462-4438 or visit their website at schoolcraft.edu/bdc for more info.
International and Export Regulations and How they Impact your Business
Feb. 6
9 a.m. to noon
Jeffress Center, Rm. 123
Save time, money and energy with a thorough understanding of International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and Export Administration Regulations (EAR), export control laws executed by the U.S. Government. These regulations are designed to ensure that defense-related technology does not get into the wrong hands. If your company is active in the defense, aerospace, automotive, software, IT or telecommunications industries, it is critical to understand how your products and services are regulated under these laws. Register at ptacofsc.ecenterdirect.com/events/5477
Beztak Companies on Campus Recruiting
Feb. 6
11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Henry’s Food Court, VisTaTech Center
Recruiters from Beztak Companies will be on hand to discuss job and career opportunities and accept resumes from interested applicants. For more than six decades, Beztak has been a leader in the design, development, construction and management of successful, award-winning properties across the country. Dress business casual and bring copies of your resume.
Wednesday Noon Jazz Concert
Ellen Rowe, ‘Speaking of Music’
Feb. 6 and Feb. 20
12 to 1:15 p.m.
VisTaTech Center, Kehrl Auditorium, Rm. 550
Jazz pianist and composer Ellen Rowe will be joined by Sean Dobbins (drums), Paul Keller (bass) and vocalist Sunny Wilkinson in a celebration of Ella Fitzgerald and Sarah Vaughan. The quartet will demonstrate some of the singer’s most beloved pieces and talk about the differences in styles and the art of vocal accompaniment. The ‘Speaking of Music’ Noon Concert will last approximately one hour 15 minutes. The event is free, but donations at the door will help fund student scholarships.
For more information, contact Patricia Minnick by email at [email protected], by phone at 734-462-4403, or visit schoolcraft.edu/music.
Resume Essentials Workshop Presentation
Feb. 6
1 to 2:30 p.m.
McDowell Center, Rm. 100
A certified professional resume writer will show job seekers how to build a targeted resume that strategically “sells” skills and experience to employers, helps job seekers get past applicant tracking systems that pre-screen them, and highlights what recruiters are looking for in a resume and cover letter.
For more information, please contact the Career Services Office at 734-462-4421 or [email protected] Visit www.schoolcraft.edu/careerservices or find them on Facebook (@SCCareerServices) for a complete list of all Career Services events.
Dual Enrollment Information Night
Feb. 6
6 to 7:15 p.m.
VisTaTech Center
The Schoolcraft Admissions department hosts dual enrollment information night. Attendees can learn how high school students can benefit by taking college classes at Schoolcraft while still in high school. For more information, please contact the Admissions & Welcome Center by email at [email protected], by phone at 734-462-4683, or visit schoolcraft.edu/admissions/high-school-dual-enrollment
Fake News, Sharing Resources to Help to Avoid It
Feb. 7
11 a.m. to noon
Bradner Library, Rm. 105
Join librarians Vicki Dixon and Kristin Keyes as they explore resources and strategies to help you with your research and avoid misleading sources. A variety of resources will be presented. This library workshop is for Schoolcraft College students, faculty and staff. CEU’s will be available.
For more information, contact Kristin Keyes at [email protected] or at (734)-462-5315
TouchPoint at Providence Park on Campus Recruiting
Feb. 7
11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Henry’s Food Court, VisTaTech Center
Recruiters from TouchPoint will be on hand to discuss job and career opportunities and accept resumes from interested applicants for positions at Ascension Providence Park Hospital.
This event is open to the public. Please dress business casual and bring copies of your resume.
Guest Speaker Jahquan C. Hawkins, College Success Coach
Feb. 7
1 to 2:30 p.m.
Phi Theta Kappa is pleased to announce their “Take the Initiative” event featuring guest speaker Jahquan C. Hawkins, MS Educator, Author and College Success Coach. Learn more about Schoolcraft’s degree completion initiative sponsored by SC Academic Advising and Phi Theta Kappa. There will be a raffle for 30 copies of Jahquan Hawkins book “Finding My Way” for attendees.
For more information contact the Student Activities Office at [email protected] or at (734)-462-4422.
Factoring Workshop
Feb. 7
5:30 to 7 p.m.
Bradner Library, Rm. 105
This event is available in person and via live webinar via schoolcraft.edu/lac/success-seminars-and-workshops/online-workshops. Factoring is an important skill in mathematics. This event will act as a factoring review to help students strengthen their factoring skills to solve polynomials and algebraic equations.
Edcamp Schoolcraft
Feb. 9
8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Edcamp is an educational unconference that is educator-driven and educator-led. It is a powerful learning format that works – professional development for teachers, by teachers.
Attendees determine the session content and serve as both presenters and audience. Bring your ideas. Be ready to network and share #edcampschoolcraft. Registration is required at www.schoolcraft.edu/edcamp.
For more information, contact Michele Fuher at [email protected] or at (734)-462-4448.
Sonatina-Sonata Festival Piano Auditions and Recital
Auditions: Saturday Feb. 9 in the Forum Bldg.
Honors Recital: Friday Feb. 15 in the VisTaTech Center, Kehrl Auditorium, Rm. 550
In an effort to encourage excellence in musical performance and to recognize excellent teaching in the Metropolitan Detroit-Ann Arbor area, Schoolcraft College sponsors three Festival events each year in which students have the opportunity to perform and receive evaluations from a panel of judges. Students selected by the judges will perform in the Honors Recital.
For more information contact Patricia Minnick by email at [email protected], by phone at 734-462-4403, or visit schoolcraft.edu/music.
Divorce Solution Essentials – Ask an Attorney
Feb. 12, 18 and 26
4 to 6 p.m.
McDowell Center, Rm. 119
Ask an Attorney provides an opportunity to ask and speak privately with an attorney about divorce and family law.
Participants will be seen on a first-come, first-served basis. Anyone interested may sign in beginning at 3:30 p.m. on the day of the program. This service is free of charge and open to the public.
Kids on Campus Open House
Feb. 12
6 to 7:30 p.m.
VisTaTech Center, Rm. 500
Parents and kids, this is a great opportunity to see all KOC has to offer! Meet select class instructors and participate in hands-on activities. Ask questions and get information about the camps you want to take. Staff will be available to help answer questions about the registration process. The open house is free and open to the public.
Learn more about Kids on Campus at www.schoolcraft.edu/koc.
Launching Your New Business
Feb. 12
6 to 8 p.m.
Applied Sciences, Rm. 376
Fee: $49.00
Are you in the beginning stages of starting a business?  Come join fellow aspiring entrepreneurs to evaluate the market potential of your product/service and learn about available resources to help launch your new business. Topics include: funding sources, developing your value proposition, using market research, and the basics for creating a business plan. This course meets Tuesday, Feb. 12, and Thursday, Feb. 14
Busch’s Fresh Food Marketing on Campus Recruiting
Feb. 13
11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Henry’s Food Court, VisTaTech Center
Human Resources staff from Busch’s Fresh Food Market will be on hand to discuss job and career opportunities and accept resumes from interested applicants. Busch’s was Career Services 2017 Employer of the Year – see for yourself why Busch’s is a great employer by coming to this event!
Schoolcraft College FAFSA Workshop
Feb. 13 and Feb. 27
3 to 4 p.m.
McDowell Center, Lower Level, Rm. 050
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the first step in the financial aid process. Receive hands-on assistance with completing the 2020 FAFSA.
2020 FAFSA processing will begin in early March for classes that begin in Fall.
Things students and parents should bring: FSA ID, Social Security number, driver’s license, and completed 2017 federal tax return.
Information on completing the FAFSA is also available at “Applying for Aid” through the Financial Aid Office. For more information, contact the Financial Aid Office at [email protected], (734)-462-4433, or visit their website at http://www.schoolcraft.edu/aid/.
Job Interviewing Workshop Presentation
Feb. 20
1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
McDowell Center, Rm. 100
The Schoolcraft College Career Services Office is presenting a series of informational career workshop presentations designed to provide job seekers with the tools that will give them a competitive edge. Job Interviewing helps job seekers to prepare for that all-important job interview. Learn what to do, and what not to do, to calm your nerves and put your best foot forward.
No advance registration required. For information call 734-462-4421 or email [email protected]
What are LibGuides and How to Use Them
Feb. 20
2 to 3 p.m.
Bradner Library, Rm. 105
Join librarians Wayne Pricer and Joseph Miller as they present attendees with all of the information needed in order to get the most out of the new Library Subject guides. This library workshop is designed for Schoolcraft College students, faculty and staff. CEU’s will be available.
For more information, contact Wayne Pricer at [email protected] or at (734)-462-5317.
Government Contracting 101
Feb. 21
9 a.m. to noon
Jeffress Center, Rm. 122
Fee: $45
The federal government purchases more than $450 billion of goods and services a year and the State of Michigan utilizes 1,000 multiyear contracts. Find out what it takes to sell your goods and services both to the federal government and the State of Michigan.
In addition, learn about the services and continuous support the Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC) has available to help your company with the contracting process.
Auto-Chlor System on Campus Recruiting
Feb. 21
11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Henry’s Food Court, VisTaTech Center
Recruiters from Auto-Chlor System will be on hand to discuss job and career opportunities and accept resumes from interested applicants. Learn more about the company by visiting www.autochlor.com. Please dress business casual and bring copies of your resume.