Campus Club Events

Josiah Thomas, Campus Life Editor

Divorce Solution Essentials – Money Matters in Divorce
April 1
4 to 6 p.m.
McDowell Center, Rm. 119
Money Matters in Divorce provides an opportunity to speak with a certified divorce financial analyst about the financial concerns relative to divorce All sessions are facilitated by Vicki D. McLellan, a certified divorce financial analyst from Equitable Divorce Resolutions in Royal Oak.
Clients will be seen on a first-come, first-served basis. Anyone interested may sign in beginning at 3:30 p.m. on the day of the program. This service is free of charge and open to the public.
For more information, please contact the Hinkle Center at 734-462-4443 or [email protected]
Up Jumped Spring – Jazz Studies Program – Synthesizer Ensemble Concert
April 1
7:30 to 9:30 p.m.
VisTaTech Center, DiPonio Rm., Rm. 500
The Schoolcraft Jazz Studies Program under the direction of Dr. Riccardo Selva and the Synthesizer Ensemble under the direction of Dr. Barton Polot presents a concert featuring the talented musicians & vocalists of the Jazz Ensemble, Vocal Jazz Ensemble, Jazz Improvisation Combo and Synthesizer Ensemble.
The eclectic repertoire programmed by the ensembles will unfold into a lively and creative concert that promises to usher in the freshness of Spring. Donations will be gratefully accepted at the door and will be used to fund student scholarships and the Jazz Program.
For more information, contact Patricia Minnick at [email protected] or at 734-462-4403
TruGreen On Campus Recruiting
April 3
11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Henry’s Food Court, VisTaTech Center
The management team from TruGreen will be on hand to discuss job opportunities in sales and accept resumes from interested applicants for positions throughout the metro area.
This event is open to the public. Please dress business casual and bring copies of your resume.
For more information, please contact the Career Services Office at 734-462-4421 or [email protected]
Job Fair Etiquette Presentation
April 3
1 to 2:30 p.m.
McDowell Center, Rm. 100
The Schoolcraft College Career Services Office is presenting a series of informational workshop presentations designed to provide job seekers with tools that will help to give them a competitive edge.
Be prepare for the big spring job fair April 10 by attending this informative presentation.
Job Fair Etiquette will show job seekers how to prepare for a job fair, what to do (and what not to do) at a job fair, and help take the anxiety out of talking with employers during these events.
No advance registration is required. For more information, please contact the Career Services Office at 734-462-4421 or [email protected]
Discovering Poetry Resources
April 3
2 to 3 p.m.
Bradner Library, Rm. 105
Please join librarian Joseph Miller as he shares a wide variety of resources for writing and discovering poetry, with an emphasis on books, web resources and library databases. This workshop is for Schoolcraft students, faculty and staff. CEU forms will be available at the workshop.
For more information, contact Joseph Miller at [email protected] or at 734-462-7674.
First Responders and Understanding Mental Health Concerns
April 4
10 to 11 a.m.
Radcliff Campus
The presentation will focus on the relevance and importance of including mental health classes for occupations that are in direct nexus to those in crises. Emergency Medical Technicians, like other First Responders, should at a minimum, receive this type of training in order to alleviate and not exacerbate an already volatile situation.
For more information, contact Helen Ditouras at [email protected] or at 734-462-7263.
Centria Autism On Campus Recruiting
April 4
11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Henry’s Food Court, VisTaTech Center
Recruiters from Centria Autism will be on hand to accept resumes and talk with job seekers about positions with the company. Please bring your resume and dress business casual.
Story Problems Workshop
April 4
5:30 to 7 p.m.
Bradner Library, Rm. 105
Using math in real-world situations can be tough, but this workshop will provide you with 5 simple steps to put your story/application problems into perspective. These steps will help you translate the story problem into a mathematical equation so that you can work through the problems efficiently and accurately.
This workshop will be held in Bradner Library, Rm. 105 or via online webinar.
For directions and access to the live webinar, visit The Learning Center’s online workshop page.
For more information, contact the Learning Center at [email protected] or at 734-462-4436.
Schoolcraft Honors Recitals for Piano and Voice
April 5
7 to 9 p.m.
VisTaTech Center, Kehrl Auditorium, Rm. 550
In an effort to encourage excellence in musical performance and to recognize excellent teaching in the Metropolitan Detroit-Ann Arbor area, Schoolcraft College sponsors three Festival events each year in which students have the opportunity to perform and receive evaluations from a panel of judges. Students selected by the judges will perform in the Honors Recital.
T-Bone N Weasel Performance
April 5 and 6
8 to 9 p.m.
Liberal Arts, James R. Hartman Theater
Tickets: $15
Director Joseph Zettelmaier bring to life Jon Klein’s comedy of William “Weasel” Weasel and T-Bone, two ex-cons with dreams that are larger than their intellects. This outlaw odd couple travel the back-roads of South Carolina just trying to make their way and encounter a series of wild characters and wilder adventures, all to the rockin’ tunes of Creedence Clearwater Revival.
Zettelmaier’s production will tell the story in a combined format of stage play and radio drama. This Americana comedy is unlike anything you’ve ever seen or heard.
For information and updates, please join the Theatre Department’s Mailing List by email at [email protected] Tickets can be ordered by phone at 734-462-4596 or in person at the Schoolcraft College Cashier in the McDowell Student Center.
Graphic Novel Readathon
April 9 and 10
8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Bradner Library
To celebrate National Library Week, we will be holding our second annual Graphic Novel Readathon April 9 and 10th all day long in Bradner Library. Come enjoy reading graphic novels and manga from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. in the atrium area of the Library. There will be free tote bags and comic book samples to take home (while supplies last).
If you read graphic novels or comics for at least 15 minutes in the library, you can fill out a form and enter a drawing to win prizes. To gain an additional entry, take a selfie with a sponsored book/comic and post it to social media with the right publisher’s hashtag (see the display table for more details).
For more information, contact Joseph Miller at [email protected] or at 734-462-7674
Divorce Solution Essentials – Ask An Attorney
April 9, 15 and 23
4 to 6 p.m.
McDowell Center, Rm. 119
Ask an Attorney provides an opportunity to ask an attorney about divorce and family law.
An attorney will be available to speak with individuals privately about divorce and family law. Participants will be seen on a first-come, first-served basis. Anyone interested may sign in beginning at 3:30 p.m. on the day of the program.
Spring Job Fair
April 10
1 to 3 p.m.
VisTaTech Center, DiPonio Rm., Rm. 500
More than 70 local employers from a variety of industries will be speaking with and accepting resumes from job seekers in the areas of business, health care, technology, customer service, manufacturing, culinary arts and much more. Please dress professionally and bring multiple copies of your resume. Job seekers can prepare for the Spring Job Fair by attending the Job Fair Etiquette Workshop before the job fair April 3.
For more information, please contact the Schoolcraft College Career Services Office at [email protected] or call 734-462-4421.
Breaking into the Comic Book Industry
April 10
2 to 3 p.m.
Bradner Library, Rm. 105
Michigan native, David Petersen, an Eisner-Award-Winning comic book creator known for his Mouse Guard series, will be visiting campus April 10, 2019, to give a presentation on “Breaking into the Comic Book Industry.” A short Q&A session will follow his presentation. Students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to come and participate.
Space is limited for this event so please RSVP by March 22, 2019, with the number of seats you need us to set aside for you or your class. If the volume of requests is larger than expected, we will look into setting aside a bigger venue for this presentation.
For any questions or to RSVP, please email Reference Librarian Joseph Miller.
Schoolcraft College FAFSA Workshop
April 10
3 to 4 p.m.
McDowell Center, Lower Level, Rm. 050
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the first step in the financial aid process. Receive hands-on assistance with completing the 2019/2020 FAFSA. This event is free to attend and open to the public. 2019 – 2020 FAFSA processing will begin in early March 2019 for classes that begin in fall 2019.
Things students and parents should bring: FSA ID, Social Security Number, Driver’s License, Completed Federal Tax Return
Information on completing the FASFA is also available at Schoolcraft’s Applying for Aid webpage at http://www.schoolcraft.edu/aid/apply-for-aid.
Collage Concert XXVIII
April 13
7 to 10 p.m.
VisTaTech Center, DiPonio Rm., Rm. 500
This annual concert features all of the Schoolcraft Music Ensembles, including the Wind Ensemble, Jazz Ensemble, Jazz Improvisation, Collegiate Chorale and the Synthesizer Ensemble. Admission is $10 for adults, $5 for students with a Schoolcraft Student ID card, $5 for seniors and $5 for children 12 yrs. and under
Grad Fair
April 16 and 17
9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Main Campus Bookstore
To save time, please complete the Commencement Ceremony Check-in Form before you go to a Grad Fair. At the Grad Fair, a cap & gown will be prepared to purchase. You may pick up your cap & gown for $30.
For guest tickets, you will receive six (6) tickets for guests to attend the ceremony. Available for Order: Graduation Announcements, Diploma Frames.
Phi Theta Kappa honors regalia will be available to order. The last day to order is April 1, 2019.
Sign up to participate in the Commencement Ceremony at www.schoolcraft.edu/graduation/grad-fair.
For further information regarding PTK honors regalia, please contact the Student Activities Office at 734-462-4422.
Launching Your New Business
April 16
6 to 8 p.m.
Applied Sciences Building, Rm. 376
Fee: $49.00
Are you in the beginning stages of starting a business?  Come join fellow aspiring entrepreneurs to evaluate the market potential of your product/service and learn about available resources to help launch your new business. Topics include:  funding sources, developing your value proposition, using market research, and the basics for creating a business plan. This course meets Tuesday, April 16, and Thursday, April 18, 2019.
For more information, contact the Business Development Center at 734-462-4438 or visit their website at http://www.schoolcraft.edu/bdc
Project Management: Information Session
April 16
6 to 7:30 p.m.
Biomedical Technology Center, Rm. 245
Schoolcraft College’s Continuing Education and Professional Development program is continuing its successful partnership with Q’vive, a local leader in innovation strategy and training, to offer Project Management Essentials and Exam Preparation.
This information session will cover the requirements of the program and the types of jobs that PMP or CAPM exam certification can lead to. Question and answer time will be included in session as well as an opportunity to meet the instructor.
For more information, contact Michelle Fuher at [email protected] or at 734-462-4448.
Planned Giving Lunch & Learn-The Cure for Tax Season Blues
April 17
Noon to 2 p.m.
VisTaTech Center, Rm. W210B
Join Christopher Kelly, Director of Major & Planned Giving for a lunch & learn. Ensure your impact through strategic estate planning.
In this workshop you will hear strategies that help you make simple, impactful charitable gifts, learn how strategic planning brings more personal benefits to you, gather ideas for your next steps to avoid the pain of next year’s tax season and understand what planned giving is all about
Space is limited please RSVP to [email protected] by April 10.
This event is free and open to the public. Presented by the Schoolcraft College Foundation.
Resume Essentials Workshop Presentation
April 17
1 to 2:30 p.m.
McDowell Center, Rm. 100
The Schoolcraft College Career Services Office is once again presenting a series of informational workshops designed to provide job seekers with information that will give them a competitive edge.
Resume Essentials features a certified professional resume writer who will show job seekers how to build a targeted resume that strategically “sells” skills & experience to employers, helps job seekers get past applicant tracking systems that pre-screen them, and highlights what recruiters are looking for in a resume and cover letter. No advance registration is required. For more information, please contact the Career Services Office at 734-462-4421 or [email protected]
Government Contracting 101
April 18
9 a.m. to noon
Jeffress Center, Rm. 123
This class outlines the first steps for passionate entrepreneurs and businesses wishing to gain access to the world’s largest customer ($508 billion in goods and services each year). Participants explore how to initially set-up, find opportunities, market, explore small business benefits, sell to the U.S. Government, and take advantage of PTAC resources and services. Doing business in this marketplace takes time, energy and patience, but the payoff can be very rewarding.
Please note this session is restricted to businesses located in our service area Wayne, Oakland, Monroe, Washtenaw and Livingston counties.
For more information, contact Kara or Shannon at [email protected] or at 734-462-4438.
International Learning Support – Spring Celebration
April 18
11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Bradner Library, Rm. 105
Spring is here International Learning Support (ILS) invites international students to join us for our Spring Celebration; we will have springtime-themed games, food, activities and conversations. Stop by at any time to connect with other international students and celebrate spring.
For more information, contact Hollie Reynolds at [email protected] or at 734-462-4436
Art Showcase
April 18
1 to 7 p.m.
VisTaTech Center, Lower Waterman Wing, Student Activities Center
Join us for the Art Showcase presented by the Schoolcraft Computer Graphics Technology Club, The Student Activities Board and the Video Production Club. Students will be displaying their artwork and some will be for sale as well. Light refreshments will be served. We will also be taking donations of canned goods for the Student Food Pantry.
For more information, contact the Student Activities Office at [email protected] or at 734-462-4422.
Commencement Ceremony
May 4
2 p.m.
USA Hockey Arena, 14900 Beck Road, Plymouth, MI 48170
PLEASE NOTE: The deadline to submit a graduation application and have your name appear in the Commencement program is Thursday, April 18, 2019.
Graduates must arrive at USA Hockey Arena, one hour before ceremony start time, wearing cap, gown and tassel. The tassel is worn on the right before you graduate. Volunteers will be there to guide you to the lower level. Commencement programs will already be on your chair.
Upon arrival graduates should proceed to the lower level of USA Hockey Arena to check in and line up for the procession.
For the Saturday ceremony, there will be a professional photographer present to take each graduate’s picture. Graduates have the option of purchasing these photos. There will be a DVD of the ceremony available for sale in the Livonia bookstore for $15 one week after the Commencement.
Flowers will be available for sale outside USA Hockey Arena. You can also purchase and reserve flowers ahead of time for purchase at Commencement.
If you have any questions or special needs, please call the Records Office at 734-462-4677. Handicapped seating and parking will be available at USA Hockey Arena.
For more information please go to www.schoolcraft.edu/graduation

Illustration by Shaida Azzam