Looking ahead

Middle School College Night returns to campus

By Camyle Cryderman, Editor-in-Chief
It’s never too early to plan for the future, whether it be for further schooling, a career or
retirement, planning ahead allows for adamant time and preparation in order to carry out any
plan to the best of its abilities. Schoolcraft’s Middle School College Night (MSCN) gives local
eighth grade students this opportunity to plan ahead for college before they even start high
school.
On March 8 from 4:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. local middle school students are invited to attend Middle
School College Night at Schoolcraft College. Located in the DiPonio room of the VisTaTech
Center, this free event has been an annual occurrence on campus for nearly 20 years. Offering
middle school students the opportunity to explore Michigan colleges and plans of study before
they begin high school gives them the chance to cater their whole high school career to benefit
them in their college future.
“MSCN helps eighth grade students better understand how the choices they make in high school
create options for college. Students learn important steps needed throughout high school to be
well prepared for college,” said Ann Couyoumjian, Schoolcraft Admissions Representative and
chairperson for the event.
While MSCN is aimed towards eighth grade students, it is open to the public, and anyone is
invited to attend. Many community colleges, public and private universities as well as trade
schools are represented at this event to give students a taste at all future opportunities. Some of
these representatives include University of Michigan, Lawrence Technological University,
College for Creative Studies and of course Schoolcraft College. There are hands on games and
activities to help students learn about all major programs of study from business to computer
design, as well as simulation activities from the nursing department and fire and police trucks
parked outside for students to explore.
While the possibilities of college will be exciting for students, the logistics of paying for the
future will be important to parents. Because of this, The State of Michigan Department of
Treasury is offering their presentation “How to pay for college” at 4:45, 5:30 and 6:15 p.m. at the
event.
“Middle school students should be engaged in conversations about how to pay for college.  It is
beneficial for middle school students and their families to make financial plans for college.  The
State of Michigan also finances Dual Enrollment for high school students to take college classes
while in high school,” said Couyoumjian.
College advisors and local high school counselors will both be present at MSCN to help guide
students towards their future. Whether they are ready for dual enrollment, or hope to simply start
in basic classes, Middle School College Night gives students and parents the chance to explore
the future far before it happens.
There is no such thing as planning too far ahead when it comes to a professional future. Middle
School College night is the perfect event for young students to shape the success of their future
in high school and beyond.