The Student News Site of Schoolcraft College

Schoolcraft Connection

Schoolcraft Connection

Schoolcraft Connection

Make it three

Enrique Jackson
The Schoolcraft Women’s Basketball team improved their winning streak to three games with a win over Mott Community College, Jan. 10. (Image from Student Activities Archives)

By Casey Spencer, Sports Editor

SCWB_120217_04

The Schoolcraft Women’s Basketball team pushed their winning streak to three games with a 61-47 victory over the Bears of Mott Community College, Jan. 10.
The team had won their last two contests on the road (Dec. 16 at Lansing 70-56, Jan. 4 at Oakland 79-44) before returning home to face the Bears.
Schoolcraft came into the Mott game posting a winning 7-6 record searching for a win at home where they haven’t fared too well. It seemed like a tough task was ahead of them and it didn’t help that the Ocelots had to play with only a six-player roster due to injuries.
If not for great three-point shooting from guard Paige Nemeth who sunk two from deep, and a hard charging foul taken by guard Megan Swirczek that seemed to spark the team, the second quarter lead could have slipped away.
After halftime, it looked like fatigue might have set in for the Ocelots. Mott was pushing, and poor defense with lack of ball secu-rity plagued the Ocelots as they had no answer scoring only eight total points in the third quarter.
With only a few seconds left in the third, a Mott player threw the ball up from the three-point line and drew a foul sending her to the free throw line, to which the fans voiced their displeasure. At this point, the game was all tied up (40-40) heading into a dramatic fourth quarter.
The Ocelots responded by slow-ing the game down, drawing fouls and making the Bears pay for them, putting in 7 of 10 from the stripe.
Schoolcraft played conserva-tively, barely turning the ball over, along with strong defense play holding Mott to just nine points in the fourth. This, combined with the fourth quarter play of Maholms and Sandiha putting in 17 of the teams 21 fourth quarter points, helped put Mott away.
Maholmes scoring 24 and Sandiha scoring 23 of their teams 61 showed leadership as they pulled their team to victory.
“I keep talking about playing solid and being aggressive and kind of sticking together, and I think if we continue to do that, we’ll continue the way we’ve been playing” said Head Coach Kara Kinzer.
The Ocelots will be playing their next home game Jan. 24 against Macomb.