April Fools Day recipes for the trickster in all of us!
MEATLOAF CUPCAKES WITH MASHED POTATO ICING
Recipe from bettycrocker.com
Image from allrecipes.com
• Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 18 regular-size foil muffin cup liners
with cooking spray. Place into colored paper liners in muffin
• In a large bowl, mix ingredients until well combined.
Divide mixture evenly among muffin cups, pressing
mixture down firmly.
• Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until meat thermometer inserted in
the center of the loaves reads 160°F. Cool slightly in the muffin
• While loaves are baking, prepare the mashed potatoes. Make
sure that they are creamy and smooth so that they can be
piped onto meatloaves. Add food coloring if desired.
• Use a decorating bag (or a freezer baggie with a corner cut
off) and a decorating tip to pipe the mashed potatoes onto the
meatloaves. Top with extra parsley if desired.
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 2 pounds lean ground beef
• 1 cup panko crispy bread
• 1 small red onion, finely
• 2 cloves garlic, finely
• 1 tablespoon coarsely
chopped fresh Italian
• 2/3 cup ketchup or chili
• 2 teaspoons Worcestershire
• salt and pepper
• about 3 cups mashed
FRENCH FRIED APPLE STICKS
Recipe and image from geniuskitchen.com
Preheat oven to 400°F. Peel apples and cut into sticks with a crinkle cutter. Toss with cin-namon and sugar. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake 8 to 12 minutes. Serve with strawberry preserves (to look like ketchup) if desired.
- 2 apples
- strawberry preserves (optional)
SESAME GLAZED CAULIFLOWER WINGS
Recipe and image from cupcakesandkalechips.com
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Spray a baking sheet with oil or cooking spray.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets. The smaller that they are, the faster they will cook and the softer they will get.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- Toss the cauliflower in the batter until thoroughly coated.
- Arrange the cauliflower on the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until slightly less done than you want them.
- Remove from the oven and gently flip and toss the cauliflower in the sauce on the sheet.
- Return to the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Place the cauliflower on a serving plate or bowl and if desired, sprinkle with additional scallions and/or sesame seeds.
- If desired, pour any remaining sauce off of the baking sheet into a bowl for dipping.
For the sauce:
- ½ cup soy sauce (or tamari for gluten free)
- ¼ cup honey (or agave or maple syrup for vegan)
- ½ tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1 to 2 sliced scallions
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
For the cauliflower:
- One large head cauliflower
- ½ cup flour (any kind)
- ½ cup milk (any kind)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Sesame seeds or scallions for garnish