Layout by Chrissy Begle, Layout and Design Editor
Yields: 48 2.5” cookies
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon fine sea or table salt
1 cup unsalted butter
¼ cup cream cheese
1¼ cups granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup holiday candy sprinkles
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Combine flour with first four ingredients and whisk to blend.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla extract to cream cheese bowl and blend again.
- Add flour mixture and beat until flour just disappears.
- Chill dough in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Scoop balls of dough with a cookie scoop. Roll in your hands until smooth.
- Gently roll the dough balls in a bowl of sprinkles.
- Transfer to parchment-lined baking sheets at least 2 inches apart.
- Use the bottom of a drinking glass to evenly press down cookies until they are about ¼” to ½” tall.
- Bake for 9 to 10 minutes until they look under-baked but lightly golden underneath.
- Let sit on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to cooling racks.
Strawberry Summer Cake
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, plus extra for pie plate
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon table salt
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 large egg
½ cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 10 inch pie pan or a 9 or 10 inch springform or cake pan. The 10 inch would make a thinner cake than pictured.
- Whisk flour or flours, baking powder and salt together in a small bowl.
- In a larger bowl, beat butter and 1 cup sugar until pale and fluffy with an electric mixer, about 3 minutes. Mix in egg, milk and vanilla until just combined. Add dry mixture gradually, mixing until just smooth.
- Pour into prepared pie plate.
- Arrange strawberries, cut side down, on top of batter, as closely as possible in a single layer. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over berries.
- Bake cake for 10 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 325°F and bake cake until golden brown and a tester comes out free of wet batter, about 50 to 60 minutes.
- Let cool in pan on a rack. Cut into wedges. Serve with lightly whipped cream.
Frozen Lemonade Pie
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk, chilled
1 6 oz. can frozen lemonade concentrate
12 oz. whipped topping, thawed
2 prepared graham cracker crusts
- Beat milk with a mixer.
- Add lemonade directly from freezer and beat until very thick.
- Fold in whipped topping slowly, keeping as much air in the mixture as possible.
- Spoon into crusts and freeze at least 2 hours.
- Remove from freezer 30 minutes prior to serving to allow the pie to thaw to a creamy state.