Task Force helps student be the change they want to see

Steffanie Hills nominated to the Department of State’s Collegiate Student Advisory Task Force

Josiah Thomas, News Editor

Going to school, working two jobs, raising families, struggling with emotional or economic hardships. These are a few of the many barriers and unique challenges faced by today’s student voters, one that the Secretary of State’s Student Advisory Task Force wants to address.
With so much to go through day in and day out, it’s no wonder why so many student voters are discouraged; they’re led to believe their vote and their voice doesn’t count.
To counter this, the Task Force is going to meet with students from around the state who “are both energized about and involved in voter engagement, bringing their diverse experiences on various campuses to this project,” according to Nicole MargosianGalindo, Honors Coordinator & Adjunct Professor at Schoolcraft College.
Leading the charge for Schoolcraft’s end is student Steffanie Hills, who currently is in the RN-Nursing Program, with a minor in Business Management. She currently works as an Emergency Tech for Beaumont and is the mother of a 4-year-old little girl. She is also in the Honors Scholar program and was the 2018-2019 President of the Omicron Iota chapter of Phi Theta Kappa. Having completed the required 50 service hours before finishing the 2-year honors program, as well as taking opportunities to get involved and volunteer at local elections, Hills also has attended the Voter Summit in Lansing. In return for her hard work, the Honors Scholars program will assist Hills in promoting voter rights and voting information.
“I am the person that will be observing and investigating the barriers and opportunities for student engagement on my campus…as Secretary Benson says, ‘We are now part of an elite, and highly selective group that will now serve as ambassadors for our colleges and communities.’ We will be able to contact the state with anything our college or communities needs or sees changes for,” said Hills.
Those interested may also contact Honors coordinator, Nicole Margosian-Galindo, at (734) 462-7671 or ngalindo@ schoolcraft.edu. Mail can be sent to the Honors Office in the Liberal Arts Building, Room LA524.
Your voice is your vote and your vote can change the future.

task_force.jpg
Steffanie (pictured, center-left) with the Student Advisory Task Force and their first meeting with Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson in Lansing, Sept 27

“Your Vote, Your Future”
12 to 2 p.m.
Lower Waterman,
Conference Room E
Steffanie Hills will host an information session taking questions, concerns and suggestions on the improvement of voter engagement among college students and young voters. Take advantage of this rare opportunity to let your voice be heard and taken directly to the state that enforceschange.

Photo courtesy of Stephanie Hills