Consultant’s Corner, Vol. 33 Issue 5

Learning Support Services

A Message from the Learning Support Services

It is difficult to minimize the benefits of collaborative learning. At Schoolcraft’s Learning Support Services, students are able to find various resources that are built on this foundation. In the Learning Center (LC) students will find a team of peers and volunteers who are dedicated to student empowerment. This team will provide continuous support that is catered to both the goals of their fellow student and the advancements that they seek. One might find our Peer Assisted Learning (PAL) Leaders. PALs are students who have been recommended by previous instructors to facilitate a group study session in various locations across the campus. In addition, the LC is home to tutors who use their study skills and course comprehension to deepen their peers’ understanding of course material through the use of structured questioning.  Students will also find the Peer Consultants of the Writing Support Studio. These are individuals who work with students one-on-one in order to perform a structured peer review that is centered around the visitor’s primary concerns.  All of these services are also available online! Students can also seek support within International Learning Support or through Academic Success Coaches and TEAS Prep Mentors.
Above all else, Learning Support Services seeks to provide academic support. We understand how valuable support can be as students approach their academic success and engagement on campus. We focus on providing this support at times where it is likely the most needed.  Student success workshops, such as our pre-semester math workshop Jumpstart! and final exam review sessions held during Exam-a-Rama, are just two examples of what we have to offer throughout the year. This year Exam-a-Rama takes place December 5, through Saturday, December 7! Throughout this event our team will be reviewing study strategies and final exam packets, both in-person and via online webinar! On December 5 services will be available from 8:00 PM until midnight. On both December 6 and 7, the event will be held from 12:00 PM until 4:00 PM. We invite you to join us as we prepare for the end of the semester in subjects such as math, biology, physics, chemistry, and writing!  For more information, please visit the Learning Center in the Bradner Library’s L119, where you will meet our team of Service Desk Representatives. We hope to see you soon!
Best Wishes,
Learning Support Services