Reality Ready

Schoolcraft and Phi Theta Kappa partner to prepare students for the workforce

Reality+Ready

Chantele Fox, Editor-in-Chief

Ready or not, Ocelots are preparing to pounce into reality as they enter into the workforce. Phi Theta Kappa (PTK), as their College Project for the 2019- 2020 school, have partnered with the college in hosting a series of events which include guest speakers in various career fields in order to prepare students as they enter into the workforce. It is the hope of the college as well as PTK that those students who attend these events will have an easier transition into the process of getting an internship, job or transferring to a four-year university.
“Reality Ready™ is a certification program that helps Schoolcraft students win in the workforce,” states college President Conway A. Jeffress. “We equip our students with intellectual and behavioral skills that result in a well-rounded individual that employers are seeking.”
Since the fall 2019 semester, PTK has hosted a series of “Reality Ready™” guest speakers including Jackie Charniga, Finance & Insurance Reporter for Automotive News; Helen Ditouras, English & Humanities professor at Schoolcraft College; and Roger Fox, Director of Respiratory Therapy Services for the CIENA Group. These events, along with those planned for the winter semester, will lead up to the launch of a pilot program and a one-day summit, set to be held in April.
“We are looking to launch a pilot program with its first cohort April 3,” Jeffress commented. “The pilot program of Reality Ready™ will focus on: communications (personally and professionally); emotional intelligence; conflict resolution/problem-solving; and professionalism and networking where students can walk away with four to five tangible items where they can implement right away,” he concludes.
Moreover, in their endeavors to assist students, PTK made it priority to provide speakers with practical experience in different areas of the career field whether it be medical or business.
“We researched and came up with the fact that so many people are going into the workforce lacking the necessary soft skills needed to excel,” states Patrick Long, Vice President of Phi Theta Kappa. “We wanted to create a series of speakers that would come into talk to students about what they need to be prepared and that would focus on each career area.”
Guest speakers are planned to be scheduled throughout the winter semester and students are encouraged to take advantage of these free sessions, which provide them with additional preparation to begin their career or next step of their future as they begin the transfer process or approach graduation.
For information pertaining to this session or future Reality Ready sessions, please contact the Student Activities Office at 734-462-4422.

Image courtesy of risk.net