A change in pace

NJCAA updates plans for 2020-2021 athletic season

Matthew Fular, Editor-in-Chief

Like most of the plans this year, fall athletics’ usual schedule is getting an update. More specifically, 2020 fall sports are being shifted into the winter semester of 2021 with competitive play being planned to start in late January.
This comes after an announcement July 13 from the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA), updating their initial plans and recommendations made back June 19.
The NJCAA intended to keep fall sports in their regular competitive seasons, but the recent announcement shook all thought of that idea.
There is good news for student-athletes who are seeking to get back on the court or field, Schoolcraft College’s Athletics Department is working to finalize plans to bring them back to campus to begin practice.
“With the safety and health of our student-athletes at the forefront, Schoolcraft College supports the NJCAA decision to move the majority of competition to the spring semester,” said Cali Crawford, Schoolcraft College’s Athletic Director. “We will continue to support our student-athletes academically and remain focused on achieving the ultimate goal of obtaining their degree from Schoolcraft College.”
Currently, Schoolcraft College has nine teams in seven different sports. Out of those nine teams, only men’s and women’s bowling are on par to compete during their usual winter season. However, that is apt to change as we get closer to October.
As it stands, practices and scrimmages for sports like men’s and women’s soccer and women’s volleyball can begin as soon as Aug. 15. Practices for baseball and softball are set to begin on Sept. 5 and practice for the men’s and women’s basketball may begin Sep. 15.
Details are still forthcoming and could change as we approach the current dates set by the NJCAA, and all championship dates are subject to change based on facility availability. One thing is for certain, while the practice may resume for athletes, the stands will be empty throughout the 2020-2021 season as spectators will not be permitted at any sports function (practice, scrimmage, games).
For more information regarding the recent updates from the NJCAA to the fall sports plan, visit njcaa.org/general/2019-20/releases. For more details regarding Schoolcraft Athletics’ tentative schedule for student-athletes to begin practice, visit schoolcraft.edu/college-news/.