Make your voice heard

What to know before voting in upcoming election Aug. 4

Clarisa Russenberger, Club Correspondent

Michigan voters have the chance to partake in their government by voting in the upcoming primary election, held Aug. 4. The polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m., and voters are strongly encouraged to wear masks when fulfilling their civic duty to keep everyone safe during the COVID-19 pandemic.

This election will dictate both state and federal positions. Some of the positions on the ballot this month include U.S. Congressman or Congresswoman from Michigan, State Legislators, local Prosecuting Attorneys, Sheriffs, Clerks, Treasurers, Registers of Deeds and County Commissioners. 

As long as those who participate vote in the correct voting precinct, their names will appear on a registration list and no Voter Identification Card will be required. To find your local precinct, click here.

As we are in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, all registered Michigan voters have the option to vote by mail via an absentee ballot. This is due to the fact that in May, the state of Michigan mailed absentee ballots to every registered voter. However, if anyone was not registered to vote at that time and would like an absentee ballot, they may contact their local clerk’s office. Absentee ballots can be turned in by mail, but since it is so close to Election Day, it is recommended that they are turned into the local clerk’s office directly.

Those who have previously registered to vote, but want to do so can simply provide proof of residency to their city township clerk’s office before 8 a.m. on Election Day. This document d can be a driver’s license, current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck or government check, but must include a current and valid address. 
Schoolcraft students and other potential votes can go to turbovote.org and receive non-partisan information regarding ballot issues, places to register and information on the candidates running in this election.

For more information regarding the Aug. 4 elections, visit the Michigan Voter Information Center or contact your city clerk’s office to determine the appropriate voting precinct, what candidates will be on the ballot and general information about voting.

Photo courtesy of Detroit Free Press.