The power of love
The power of love
July 2, 2024

Basketball teams start season with big wins, tough losses

The basketball season is off to a fast start and both teams are rounding out the first month of the season.

The men have a record of 1-5 as of Nov. 30. The team opened the 2023-24 season on the road traveling to Vincennes, IN to face Vincennes University on Nov. 3 but lost 86-45. Starter Daniel Lee led the Ocelots scoring with 15. On the reserves, Keon Henderson scored 10 points. 

The next day, Nov. 4, the Ocelots faced Shawnee Community College. This game proved to be a real test for both teams both offensively and defensively. Unfortunately the Ocelots took the loss, 63-62. Freshman starter Amare Stevens scored nine points followed by Ben Canty and Ashton Henderson on reserves who both scored 12 points. 

After a week off from game action, the Ocelots were well rested and refreshed taking on Kalamazoo Valley Community College, Nov. 11. This was another tight matchup for Schoolcraft. Unfortunately the team suffered another close defeat, 75-73. Starter Daniel Lee scored 15 points for the Ocelots and Mackhi Jackson had 11. On the reserves Ashton Henderson scored 27 points and Marshall Thorn put up 7. 

After being on the road for the first three games of the season, the team returned home Nov. 16 to face Great Lakes Christian, still searching for its first win. Home field advantage boosted the Ocelots right from tip-off and the momentum continued throughout the game. The team pulled out its first win 121-58. Kechan Johnson led the starters with 21 points and Ashton Henderson followed with 14 points. On the reserves Mackhi Jackson led with 33 points and Te’John McGowan had 11. 

On Nov. 18 the Ocelots hosted #19 ranked Mid Michigan College. The team was looking to continue the momentum from their first win, but fell short, 79-72.On the starters Ashton Henderson scored 19 points and Keon Henderson scored 9. Meanwhile on the reserves Kechan Johnson lead with 14 points and right behind him with 12 points was Marshall Thorn. 

To close out the first month of the season, the team traveled to Lakeland Community College on Nov. 21. The Ocelots lost 90-73. Mackhi Johnson put up the most points as a starter adding up to 19. On the reserves list, Marshall Thorn led with 4 points. 

Despite the losses the team is putting up a good fight and has a lot of potential this season. 

On the women’s side, the #14 Ocelots are off to a strong start with a record of 3-1. 

On Nov. 11 the Ocelots traveled to Kalamazoo and opened up their season with a win over Kalamazoo Valley Community College, 61-25. Sharon Smith led the starters with 15 points. On the reserves Taylor Williams scored 9 points. 

The next matchup was on Nov. 16 at home against Illinois Central College and another win, 70-54. The starters were led by Sharon Smith with 20 points. On the reserves Halle Rogers scored 4 points. 

The Ocelots suffered their first loss on Nov. 18 against Mid Michigan College, 77-69. Demi Rodriguez scored 28 points. The reserves were led by Halle Rogers with 5 points. 

Their last matchup of the month came Nov. 21 and was a win, against Lakeland Community College, 61-53. Sharon Smith continued to dominate on the court and led the starters with 19 points, followed by Naveah Cable and Halle Rogers who had 4 points on the reserves. 

Up Next: Both teams hit the road Dec. 2 to face Grand Rapids Community College who are 3-3 overall in the Michigan Community College Northern Conference. 

For more information on schedules, rosters, and stats go to www.schoolcraftocelots.com