The power of love
The power of love
July 2, 2024

Reach for those stars

College welcomes aspiring high school students to campus with the S.T.E.P program
Photo courtesy of Schoolcraft College

Schoolcraft welcomed high school students ranging from junior to senior from the Schoolcraft Teacher Education Program otherwise known as S.T.E.P. to campus. The program started three years ago as a partnership between Professor Janice Tomlinson, Ryan Masters and Melissa Schultz to help students reach higher academic achievement and learn essential skills for gaining employment and going to college. These students go through a rigorous interview process to be accepted into the program, having to put together their resumes and be asked a series of questions. When accepted into the program they have the opportunity to volunteer to have hands-on experience of teaching. This is in the hopes that students may aspire to become teachers with the teacher shortage all across America currently. According to learningpolicyinsitute.org in 2023 there were roughly over 300,000 positions either filled by teachers without a full certification or vacant. 

Students gain teaching experience by tutoring elementary students, and get an inside look at what it will take to be a college student with the ability to take college courses. 

Many of the students participate in the Soar Detroit; a literacy program for students in the Detroit city area. Students presented their resumes to onlookers speaking on their academic, athletic and extracurricular achievements. When completed students were asked questions by the audience for what they may want to achieve in the future. 

Iyania Matteini aspires to be an elementary school teacher; she learned many skills while mentoring children in the SOAR program. Evelyn Valenzuela is a passionate hockey player with dreams to play on USA hockey women’s olympic team. She plays softball with a championship winning team. While in the SOAR program she tutored children to help them achieve academic success. 

A memorable presenting student whose goals are to earn a Bachelors from Wayne State, Citlaly Barajas, was asked by Melissa Shultz, “If you had one social issue to pick, what would you pick?” Contemplating for a bit they answered, “there are so many but for me, human rights. We can’t do anything if you aren’t allowed to do anything.” 

Adrian Grullon shared his success during the Soar program, during the tutelage of one particular student who struggled to read. Grullon helped him jump two reading grades. When asked by Professor Tomlinson, “How did you feel teaching your student,” Grullon shared, “It made me very emotional, because I have ADHD, [attention deficit hyperactivity disorder] I was able to put myself in his shoes and understand his struggle.” 

These students clearly have worked their program and made strides towards their individual goals. The S.T.E.P program is a great way to get students exposed to college and learn more about its offerings. We hope to see some of these students join the Ocelot community in the near future.