Have a FUNd time

Fundraiser to assist City of Asylum Detroit

Ben Bolstrum, News Editor

Are you up for a game?

On Dec. 11, at 6 p.m. Schoolcraft will hold the first ever game night, hosted by one of our students, Nathaniel Turner. This event is sponsored by Amnesty International Ithaca, and co-sponsored by Schoolcraft College International Club as well as City of Asylum Detroit (CoA/D).

This night of fun will serve as a fundraising event for, CoA/D, a group that aims to accumulate a community for and celebrate authors whose work is often silenced, pushed away, or puts their writers into danger in their home country. They are a gathering of equal minded individuals who believe that these voices should be heard. They also offer several free literary, arts and humanities programs according to their website: https://cityofasylum.org/.

“City of Asylum Detroit needs your help with our most urgent mission: bring our first international writer and resident to their new home in Detroit by early 2021,” states Emily Podwoiski, Honors Assistant in the Schoolcraft Scholars Honors Program and Community Liaison at CoA/D. “Our Game Night FUNdraiser will raise funds to support our resident’s travel costs, including an expedited O-1 visa and plane ticket. They are currently in danger, so expediting their travel is of utmost concern.”

The game night will consist of The Jackbox Party Pack which is an online program that has several different party games featuring varied themes such as trivia, creativity and humor. Drawful 2, a game where a player is given a prompt to draw while other players must guess what the prompt is will also be played.

This event is even open to those who are both able and unable to donate since there are plenty of opportunities to learn how CoA/D operates. CoA/D is only a fraction of the work COA inquires in. There is a vast network of over 70 cities in which CoA ensures to be safe havens for foreign authors. Supporting and protecting the free expression of authors is the group’s lifeblood, so that justice may be acquired on a global scale for writers. Their work will tirelessly continue until they can promote the safety for and opportunity of every author who is being silenced.

To attend this event, please visit ZOOM and type in the following parameters:

Meeting ID: 981 5325 8609
Passcode: 393291

Those who cannot attend may donate here: gofundme.com/f/help-us-bring-over-our-first-writer

For more information, contact Emily Podwoiski at [email protected].