Schoolcraft to host Otaku U All ages anime convention, Dec. 3

Janice Freshel, Staff Writer

There is something new and exciting going on in the VisTaTech Center On December 3, from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. The Otaku Anime Club will be hosting the first anime convention to be held at Schoolcraft: Otaku University. This event represents Otaku University. The university theme provides a symbol of unity, a welcoming place for students, just like a university. 

Otaku Anime president, Tom Arthur is looking forward to “giving back to the community” because a lot of people have helped him here at Schoolcraft. With his years of experience of volunteering at large scale conventions he decided he wanted to host one himself. Otaku U to him is a legacy, because Otaku Anime has been around for over 20 years. “We have built a legacy, we can all work together to make something great.” All ages are welcome. 

The Otaku Club has been working hard for months to bring this convention to life. There will be panels, vendors, Pokémon trivia, a cosplay contest, anime screening, evening karaoke, gaming tournaments and a manga library. Convention highlights include musical guests, Guitar Bros and Playing With Power Convert and Voice actor guest, Tyson Rinehart. Rinehart is best known for playing Kou Minamoto in “Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun,” Hifumi Yamada in “Danganronpa: The Animation,” and Ranga in “That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime.”

Student Activities Director, Todd Stowell has been working with the Otaku Anime Club since they started planning in the spring for the convention. “There has been a lot of work for organizers, they have been working hard since the spring. I want to see how it will go for the community, and to see their hard work pay off.” Stowell said that this is a community event and has a diverse offering, they have different organizations coming out to work with them, it helps create a sense of offering to the community. Come out with family or friends and enjoy a day full of fun, December 3rd, Otaku U, save the date!

To purchase tickets go to https://schoolcraft-college-student-activities-office.ticketleap.com/otaku-u-anime-convention/

For more information, go to otakuu.org or contact the Student Activities Office at [email protected] or 734-462-4422.