Keeping the ball rolling

Women’s and Men’s Bowling team aim to build off last season’s success

Kathryn Wenske, Editor-in-Chief

After finishing the 2022 season in second place in the Michigan Community College Athletic Association Eastern Conference both the Men’s and Women’s Bowling teams look to continue the momentum. 

The Connection interviewed Director of Athletics and Head Coach Patrick Yelsik who shared his personal experience with the sport and what he hopes the teams achieves. 

“We expect to be strong both on the men’s and the women’s side. Once again, we were national tournament qualifiers last year on the men’s side and that’s always one of the main goals that we have for the season. I’m a lifelong ‘for fun’ bowler. I was a student athlete at the college level in a different sport so I’ve always had the competitive itch that has always been in me. [So] when this job became available a few years ago, this was a way for me to stay involved and get a hands-on sense and be on the front lines with the kids: to be able to be in competition with them, that means a lot to me … I always tell the kids, whether you realize it, you’re going to be these lifelong friends, right? Some of my closest friends to this day are the people that I competed with at this. These teammates of theirs, they’re gonna be the closest friends of yours; as you go forward in your life.” 

One teammate, COVID-Sophmore William “Tre” Lamar, notably agreed with Yelsik in regards to the connections that came of the competitions.

“Being a third-year player, I want to be a leader for the team while also continuing to grow my own game. I want to lead our team to New York this year [where the National Championship is held]. I love to bowl but my favorite part of it is the friendships and relationships that you are able to make being part of a team. I definitely want to continue to bowl competitively, likely through tournaments and competitive leagues and hopefully one day be able to get paid to bowl!”

Many of the bowlers eagerly anticipate getting back into the season, as Sophmore Kaylee Schoffler “wants to give it all that I have as an individual and all that we have collectively as a team, that is all that anyone can ever ask of you! I’m hoping to excel both on the lanes and in the classroom! Being on the team is very special because of the family culture and positive atmosphere that it has. We’re always having fun and it’s great to be a part of something bigger than yourself! I plan on continuing to bowl in college after Schoolcraft. Bowling has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember and I do not see that changing!”