Just a little spring cleaning

Schoolcraft prepares for the semi-annual Thayer’s Park cleanup

Northville Parks and Rec

Thayer’s Corner Park’s annual cleanup will take place Saturday, April 22, 2023 from 9 a.m. to noon.

Sara Mallory, Campus Life Editor

Spring has arrived and with warm weather, sunshine and fun comes outdoor togetherness, what  better way to kick off a season of outdoor fun than an environmental cleanup.

Thayer’s Corner Park is beloved in both Northville and the surrounding community. In 2008, current park officiants Marv Gavs and Margie Banner started the semi-annual cleanup to keep the park clean and accessible to all residents and visitors. They ordinarily asked members of Schoolcraft College, Northville High School, and the Northville Rotary club to participate. 

“It takes a village of volunteers to keep our 58 acre park clean and usable for residents and guests,” said Banner. “We couldn’t run this park without [them], it’s as simple as that.”

Snuggled between Napier Road and 6 Mile, the 58 acre park is a staple of the local Northville community. Volunteers are expected to help clear trails of debris, put down mulch, tend to the gardens or organize and clean general park property. Whether or not students are interested in volunteering or in environmental cleanup, anyone and everyone can take home a new learning experience. 

“Immersing yourself in a task or event such as environmental cleanup not only benefits the landscapes we live on, but also provides humility to yourself in relation to your individual impact to the environment and community,” said previous student volunteer and President of the Manufacturing and Engineering Club Liam Fahey. “It helps teach you that everyone needs a hand sometimes, the impact you have on the environment and above all respect for yourself and others.”

Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) President Madison Loving has also volunteered for past clean ups and encourages everyone to get involved.

“My experience with the Thayer’s Corner Park clean-up is nothing short of amazing,” said Loving. “Every time I visit, I participate in the cleaning and planting process and each visit has always consisted of learning, impact and joy.”

Before coming to Schoolcraft, Loving had never participated in environmental cleanup before, yet continues to come back year after year to learn something new. 

Join members of the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, The Schoolcraft Environmental Club, Northville High School Honor Society and Rotary Club on April 22 from 9 a.m. to noon  to give some love back to the environment and community.

Pizza and refreshments will be served at noon. Participants will want to bring gloves. Tools and directions on jobs will be provided onsite.

Thayer’s Corner Park is located at 8250 Napier Road, Northville, Michigan, 48168.

For more information or questions, please contact the Student Activities Office at [email protected] or call 734-462-4422.