Happy Hispanic Heritage Month

A peek into the celebration of National Hispanic Heritage Month

Dedicated to honoring the history and contributions of more than 60 million Hispanic Americans and Latino Americans, National Hispanic Heritage Month highlights the independence of several countries, as well as the remembrance of the culture. 

From Sept. 15 to Oct. 15, the heritage celebration is rooted in 20 countries and territories: Spain, Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Paraguay, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. 

All 20 countries and territories celebrate for differing reasons and days, including five Latin American countries (Costa Rica, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Guatemala, and Honduras) honoring their independence from Spain right on Sept. 15. Mexico celebrates independence on Sept. 16 and Chile on Sept. 18. Additionally, Indigenous Peoples Day, Día de la Raza in mid-Oct., falls within these 30 days. 

However, It was not always a month-long celebration. The national observation began in 1968 as Hispanic Heritage Week under President Lyndon Johnson. 20 years later in 1988, it was expanded by President Ronald Reagan to 30 days which was enacted into law on August 17, 1988, on the approval of Public Law 100-402. 

As Hispanic and Latino Americans being the largest ethnic minority, comprising 18.9% of the population as of 2021, it should be recognized that there is a distinction between the two. Although used interchangeably, they have different meanings. Hispanic refers to someone whose family came from a Spanish-speaking country whereas Latino is a person whose ancestry is from Latin America. However, it is possible to be both; Brazilians are Hispanic but not Latino because they speak Portuguese. On the other hand, Mexicans would be both Hispanic and Latino. 

How we should identify someone who is from this culture is simple; to respectfully ask them how they would like to be identified.

In celebration of this month, The Detroit Public Library published on their website saying, “The Detroit Public Library is focused on acknowledging the different cultures in our community.”  From Sept. 21 until Oct. 12, they are hosting Thursday Storytimes at 11 a.m. in the Children’s Library which will feature Hispanic authors and characters with stories in English and Spanish. The Main Library will also have a Churro Bar for teens on Sept. 22 at 4 p.m. Teens will be introduced to the history of churros and will get to decorate their own. On Friday, Sept. 29 at 4 p.m. kids are invited to the Main Library to make a paper bag luminaria crafts. There they will learn about the history of paper lanterns, listen to a story that includes the craft, and lastly they will get to decorate one to take home! 

Visit the website for Detroit Public Library to learn more-
https://detroitpubliclibrary.org/news/hispanic-heritage-programs

The Campbell Branch in Southwest Detroit will be hosting Ballet Folklorico of Detroit where traditional Mexican dances will be performed on Sept. 23 at 3:30 pm!
https://allevents.in/detroit/10000717422950357

Foodies can visit Oakland Community College on Thursday, Sept. 28 from 11:15 a.m. to 1 p.m. as their Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Justice Office joined forces with the Culinary Studies Institute to offer a delicious lunch buffet featuring cuisine from different Latin/Hispanic countries. For a $15 admission fee enjoy the buffet at Oakland Community College-
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/hispanic-heritage-month-buffet-tickets-619843377227
The Schoolcraft Connection is proud of our friends and family who belong to this community and wishes you a happy Hispanic Heritage Month.