Moving up in quality

Angileri Quality Symposium offers students network and future career opportunities
Image by rawpixel.com on Freepik

Careers are all about connections. Who you know, and who can help get you to where you want to be. They are also about developing bonds, so that one day you benefit or support each other, whether it is in personal conversation or professional collaboration. 

On Nov. 3 from 7:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. in the Vistatech Center, Schoolcraft is hosting the Angileri Quality Symposium which is open to all students, with those particularly interested in the mobility industry. 

“First, it is a great way to learn about the current and future state of mobility. Times are changing quickly and there is such a need for educated, trained workers in all parts of the mobility sector,” said Executive Director for the Schoolcraft Foundation and Alumni Relations Dawn Magretta. “Networking is very helpful for students. In fact, last year a student got a job directly as a result of participating in the Angileri Quality Symposium.” 

The student Magretta is referring to is the Manufacturing and Engineering Club President Liam Fahey, who was recruited relatively last minute to attend the event. 

“Through networking at this event [last year], I actually ended up getting a job. I made a friend, and a friend wanted to do something for a friend,” said Fahey. “Three months after the event, I got a call from that friend, Bill Mitchell, and he flew out to Michigan to interview me. The next day he said the job was mine. So, this year I will actually be going to the event as a student and an employee for PLEXUS International.”

Students, like Fahey continue to attend these types of events, not only now much more collaboratively but also get to see old faces from when they first attended the Quality Summit.

“[Fahey] and I had a debrief for a couple of hours after the conference was over: going back through a lot of things. I think there’s a real benefit that the industry needs to tap into,” said Executive in Outreach and Engagement for the Automotive Industry Action Group (AIAG) and is part of the Advisory Board for the Quality Summit Dave Lelain. “The fact that Schoolcraft has all of this equipment put together in the Manufacturing and Engineering Center (MEC) which is used in many of these suppliers all over the area. And there’s a ton of them within five miles of the college.” 

As there is a talent shortage, the Quality Summit offers students the opportunity to get their career or job started with the new skills they have been curating and refining at the College. There are so many advantages to attending this summit, and it is definitely not something to pass up. 

For additional information or questions, reach out to the Schoolcraft Foundation at [email protected] or 734 462-4455.