Schools out for a Snow Day

Can the neighborhood kids stop the evil snow plow man from stealing another Snow Day?

“Snow Day”
Genre: Family and Comedy
Released: February 11, 2000
Runtime: 1 hr 29 mins
Streaming on: Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, Apple TV, GooglePlay Movies

Rating: ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭ 7/10 

“Snow Day” is a 2000 classic comedy filled film that was directed by Chris Koch about a group of neighborhood kids with a plot to stop their snow plow driver from plowing the roads in hopes of a second snow day. 

This film follows a main story with the focus being on a young boy named Hal, played by Mark Webber, and his friend Lane on their snow day adventure consisting of Hal hoping to win the love of his crush. This film also simultaneously follows a second main story with a focus on his younger sister Natalie, played by Zena Grey, who spends her snow day focused on her rivalry with the snow plow man. Audience members may recognize actor Chevy Chase playing Hal and Natalie’s father who is also the local weatherman along with Chris Elliott as the snow plow man.

“Snow Day” features many great aspects including pleasant acting from both its adult and child actors, as well as an immensely relatable story of being a kid and wanting another snow day to relax and play. The characters themselves were full of emotion and relatability, and each featured unique skills and talents that were nicely incorporated into the story. This film also promotes the positive messages of working together, kindness and friendship. “Snow Day” also included several action scenes including a funny and exciting snowmobile chase that keeps viewers on the edge of their seat. 

On the downside, the film’s beginning was a little slow to develop and featured a rivalry between the kids and the weathermen which was separate from the main story and left room for questions despite some answers being given. The plot contained several substories that limited each other and was also predictable and cringeworthy at times.

While this film is targeted towards children, adults can easily enjoy this movie and may even find themselves reminiscing about their favorite snow days from their childhood. This movie is cheesy, funny and exciting, making it a must watch for families looking for a laugh with a little bit of action to celebrate their own snow day.