Ocelots hold off Wayne County for first MCCAA win

The Schoolcraft Ocelots men’s basketball team squared off against the Wildcats from Wayne County looking for their first conference win of the season.

Through the first 2 games of the conference season, it has been a tale of 2 halves for the Ocelots. Schoolcraft has had a lead going into the locker room in both MCCAA games up to this point but had lost the lead in both. Going into Saturday’s contest, the Ocelots were looking to flip their fortune. It would prove to be a slow start for the Ocelots with their first points not coming until 3:45 into the game when Marshall Thorn split a trip to the free throw line. The offense would come back to life, overcoming 11 turnovers in the 1st half, to put up 31 points in the 1st half. Mackhi Jackson would lead the Ocelots with 8 points even though the 35% shooter from behind the arc would go 0/5 from 3. Marshall Thorn would be right behind Jackson with 7 points while also grabbing 7 rebounds.

Schoolcraft had been in this position before coming out of the locker room. To come away with their first victory in MCCAA play, the Ocelots would have to keep the same energy. Schoolcraft would be up for the task. The defense would hold Wayne County to 30 points on just 35.3% from the field while on the offensive end,  Jackson would score 12 points to lead the Ocelots into outscoring the Wildcats again in the 2nd half.

For the game, Schoolcraft would see 4 players enter double figures. Jackson would lead the way with 20 while Marshall Thorn would have 14, Ashton Henderson would have 11 and Daniel Lee would have 10. Thorn would be the team’s leading rebounder with 12 boards, registering his 1st double-double on the season, and Lee would be right behind him with 10 boards and his 5th double-double on the season. Kechan Johnson would add 6 points (2/3 from behind the arc) off the bench.

The victory over Wayne County marked the first MCCAA victory for the Ocelots since a 72-68 win over Alpena on February 23, 2022. Schoolcraft travels to Oakland Community College (4-12, 1-2) on Wednesday, January 24, looking for their 2nd MCCAA win. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30PM.