The Student News Site of Schoolcraft College

Schoolcraft Connection

Schoolcraft Connection

Schoolcraft Connection

Ocelots roll to victory

The Schoolcraft Ocelots women’s basketball team looked to move to 3-0 in MCCAA play when they hosted Wayne County on Saturday.

Defense would be the key for the Ocelots in this contest. The 32 points given up would be the 2nd fewest points given up all since, lowest since the first game of the season in a 61-25 victory over KVCC. Schoolcraft would never trail in the contest, quickly jumping out to a 5-0 lead in the first minute of play on their way to outscoring Wayne County 24-7 in the 1st quarter. Wayne would be held to just 2 points until there were 2 minutes left in the 1st quarter.

Defense would remain strong throughout the contest as the 3rd quarter would be the only quarter in which the Wildcats from Wayne County would reach double digit points. Schoolcraft would outscore Wayne County in every quarter en route to their 47-point win. The 47-point victory marks their largest margin of victory on the season, beating their 97-51 victory over Delta by just 1 point.

Sharon Smith would lead all scorers in the game with 21 points while Kyra Lawrence (11) and Taylor Williams (10) would follow Smith in double figures. Willliams, off the bench, would also lead all rebounders with 11. The 11 rebounds would give Williams her first double-double of the season.

Schoolcraft has only 1 game this week with Henry Ford canceling the remainder of their season. The Ocelots will travel to Oakland Community College to square off against the Raiders on Wednesday. Schoolcraft swept the season series last year against the Raiders. Tip-off is scheduled for 5:30PM.