Ocelots bounce back with big win

WARREN, Mi – The Ocelots keyed in on the defensive end on their road trip to Macomb to close out their season series. Schoolcraft used a big 1st quarter to help propel them to a 30-point victory over the Monarchs.

Shooting 57.1% from deep in the 1st quarter, led by Sharon Smith shooting 3/3, the Ocelots were able to hold the Monarchs to 30.8% from the field to take a 25-13 lead after the first 10 minutes of play. Halle Rogers would pitch in 8 points as well as 5 rebounds in the explosive 1st quarter for Schoolcraft. Both teams would draw even at 14 points each in the 2nd quarter leading to a 39-27 lead for the Ocelots at the breaks.

Forcing 5 turnovers and blocking 3 shots while holding Macomb to just 11.8% shooting Schoolcraft would use the defensive effort in the 3rd quarter to pull further away in the game. Demi Rodriguez would score 5 points to lead the Ocelots on their way to outscoring Macomb 15-5 in the 3rd quarter. The lead would be pushed further in the final quarter of play. Taylor Williams (8) and Garyana Overton (6) would lead the Ocelots in points, combining for 14 out of the 21 team points.

Taylor Williams would be the leader in the locker room scoring a team high 16 points while going 7/10 from the field. Williams would be joined by Rodriguez (14), Rogers (13) and Smith (12) as the other Ocelots in double figures. Williams would also lead the team in rebounds with 10, resulting in her second double double of the season.

Schoolcraft continues their road trip on Saturday as they head off to Flint to square up against Mott Community College (4-12, 1-6). Tip-off is slated for 1:00PM at the Ballenger Field House.