Rebellious Shakespearian love

Can a shrew really be tamed?
Photo+courtesy+of+Buena+Vista+Pictures+
Photo courtesy of Buena Vista Pictures

“10 Things I Hate About You”
Genre: Romance, Comedy, Drama
Released: March 31, 1999
Runtime: 1 hr 37 min
Streaming On: Disney Plus, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, GooglePlay Movies, Apple TV 

Rating: 10 out of 10 stars 

Set your sights on a flashback film that features a modern-day twist on an incredibly old classic. “10 Things I Hate About You” is a popular fan favorite film that takes viewers on a trip down nostalgia lane in a hilarious high school romcom, featuring some big Hollywood names that will not disappoint.   

Directed by Gil Junger, “10 Things I Hate About You” stars Julia Stiles as Katerina Stratford and Larisa Oleynik as her younger sister Bianca Stratford. The two teenage sisters reside in rivalry under the control of their loving, though slightly insane, father who will not allow Bianca to date until Katerina chooses to. This simple rule brings forth a new set of problems when a young man named Cameron, played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, wants to date Bianca. When he finds out about her father’s rule, his friend guides him into a plan to find a guy who would be willing to date her sister Katerina. 

Unluckily for Cameron, the movie’s antagonist named Joey, played by Andrew Keegan, feels the same way. When both guys enlist Heath Ledger’s character Patrick Verona to be the one to date Katerina, a slew of entertaining events begin to unfold. This plan comes with many funny, heartwarming and relatable moments that are sure to keep fans laughing and on their toes. Other comedic reliefs include actors Gabrielle Union who plays Bianca’s friend Chastity, and Allison Janney who plays the high school guidance counselor Ms. Perky. 

This incredible film is a retelling with a twist on William Shakespeare’s play, “The Taming of the Shrew.” Keeping with the general idea of William Shakespeare’s plot, this film keeps the first names and character traits of the two main characters Katherina and Bianca while embarking on a more heartwarming and modern version. Additionally, a small line directly from the original play is recited in the film by Cameron.  

With great acting and fantastic scenes, “10 Things I Hate About You” presents an immensely entertaining storyline that transports viewers right into the film. Featuring an incredibly iconic soundtrack that immediately takes fans back to the 90’s, with easily recognizable songs from bands like Letter to Cleo who have a cameo in the movie.  

This captivating film is easy to get lost in, its characters each have unique and relatable qualities that only aid in this impeccable storyline. It features all the typical stereotypes that one might expect in a classic high school romcom. Touching on some sensitive issues like underage drinking, teen pregnancy, and loss of a loved one.  

This phenomenal film has no downsides, giving this film a rightfully deserved ten out of ten stars, and making for a phenomenal watch.