The Schoolcraft Greenhouse is located adjacent to the Forum Building.
Greet the greenery
April 29, 2024

Inside the key

An insider’s look Schoolcraft women’s basketball

By Solae Pope-White, Staff writer

The Schoolcraft women’s basketball team is a talented versatile group that has gone through many challenges throughout this season. From home game winning streaks to falling just short of wins during away games this team has been through it all this 2018-19 season.
The team currently has is 14-9 overall and 7-4 in the Michigan Community College Athletic Association (MCCAA) Eastern Conference as of February 13.
Despite what our record may indicate, our team is still trying to find a way get back on track to cross the finish line.
The team takes part in organized practices daily which consist of working through situational occurrences that may have happened throughout the last game along with working on key fundamentals that can help a player develop as much as they may aspire to. Head Coach Kara Kinzer and Assistant Coach Katy Pierson continue to communicate with the team on the little things that the team must identify and fix.
Our three returning sophomore captains Megan Sandiha, Cierra Maholmes, and Kennedy Carrier hold a great headstrong feature in which helps our team work together to get the job done. They constantly express to us throughout the season that “communication, effort, and commitment” makes a great winning team on and off the court.
Accountability is a quality that flows throughout our team as well. No matter what the situation may be, each player makes sure they work hard academically and physically. We use our campus resources like attending tutoring sessions, getting into the gym to get extra shots up or partnering up in the weight room. As we advance towards this upcoming weekend the team recognizes that there is a target on our back when aiming to pull out a win against Wayne County Community College (WCCC). The last time we met WCCC we lost 78-68.
Analyzing film, following up on scouting reports, and focusing on grasping a better understanding on defense is a number one priority for us this weekend. We understand the idea that defense, rebounding, and patience on offense will contribute to us pulling off a victory if executed well.
Coach Kinzer instills a quote throughout each player this season that they must “start strong and finish stronger”. Our team is set to execute this saying to advance us in our game this weekend. We have the ability to do it. However, it all starts with working together. Come out and watch us host Wayne County Community College this Saturday at 1p.m. in the Schoolcraft Gym.
**Solae Pope-White is a freshman forward on the Women’s Basketball team**