Get on that bike

Schoolcraft advances to Fall Frenzy finals

Christian Hollis, Managing Editor

After knocking out SUNY Canton University by just over 710 miles, Schoolcraft has made it to the finals of the 2019 Expresso Fall Frenzy.
Over the past four weeks, Ocelot riders have gone against 32 universities and community colleges and now it’s down to the last two: Schoolcraft and Binghamton University.
The championship round takes place this Wednesday and Thursday, Oct. 23, and 24. All Fitness Center members can participate during regular business hours of 5:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.
If the Ocelots bring it home this week against Binghamton University, the Fitness Center will receive a $500 check from Expresso.
“The student body this year has been so much more involved,” said Megan Monthei, Membership Services Specialist at the Fitness Center. “(Binghamton University) in New York is the team that kicked us out last year so we’re going to need everyone that we can get to come and ride.”

The Fitness Center has eight Expresso bikes. Expresso bikes are video game-style bicycle machines. Each bike has over 40 levels to play in. For those interested in a more intense workout, the bikes are adjustable in gear for higher resistance. The Fitness Center staff recommends members to ride on the Expresso Speedway course because it does not change in incline. All fitness levels are welcome to join.
All members of the Fitness Center can participate in Fall Frenzy but an Expresso account must be made on the bike. The Fitness Center is free to all currently-enrolled students. To become a member of the Fitness Center, the student must bring a copy of their course schedule and fill out an emergency contact form. If a student does not have a copy of their course schedule, the staff of the Fitness Center will help print one out. Members that ride more than 25 miles this week will be awarded with a choice to pick an item from a box and anyone that rides more than a total of 100 miles will receive an orange Fall Frenzy shirt.
Schoolcraft has been champions of Fall Frenzy twice, once in 2014 and again in 2016. “My first day (at the Fitness Center) was when we won in 2016,” said Matt Cooper, Assistant Recreation Manager. “That was sort of my initiation at the Fitness Center. We stayed open until midnight. It was a great way to start here.”
For more information, leaderboards and live updates, visit expresso.com/fallfrenzy2019.

Photos by Clarisa Russenberger | Photo Editor