Tips for Midterms

Written by the Schoolcraft Connection Editorial Staff

Preparing for midterms is different for each person. Some people don’t study at all while others prepare right up to the bitter end. Here are some tips for studying for midterms:

1.  Create a study schedule to determine when and what to work on for each class and each topic.
  2. How much you remember on your exams depends on one very important thing the quality of attention paid to your text and lectures or assignments posted online. This Make sure you’re taking plenty of notes. Be careful though, because if you write down every word that comes out of your professor’s mouth, you won’t retain it effectively. Find the balance that’s right for you.
  3. Take advantage of the study rooms in each building and perform group study sessions. If the midterm is for an English class, consider enlisting help from Schoolcraft’s Writing Support Studio.
  4. Maintain a steady diet. Too much sugar or bad foods will not go well during a study binge. Limit your caffeine intake but stay hydrated to mellow yourself out.
  5. Exercise will get rid of unnecessary stress and keep you focused on the task at hand.

Midterms are something that many students will be experiencing for the first time this semester. If you have been paying attention in class throughout the semester, then you should be able to handle your midterms just fine with minimal studying required.
Doing your best is important. Work hard and be the best version of yourself. However, don’t base your value on the grade you receive. If you get a bad grade on a midterm, it is definitely going to suck, but it doesn’t make you any less of a person. At the end of the day, when we’re old and dying, the grades we received, or money we made won’t matter.
What will matter?
The memories we have made and the people we shared them with.