Full stomachs and full hearts

Easing insecurity one can at a time

Madison Ling, Campus Life Editor

Located in the Lower Waterman Wing on main campus and Room 256 of the Radcliff campus are the Schoolcraft Food Pantries. Created in 2011 and continuing to fill Schoolcraft students’ stomach one can at a time, this resource strives to ease food insecurity. This state of need is defined by the World Health Organization (WHO) as “having access to sufficient, safe and nutritious food” necessary “to live a healthy and active life.”
According to Harvard’s College of Education, up to half of the student population experiences insecurity and this in turn could affect graduation rates.
Schoolcraft’s Food Pantry aims to raise graduation rates and ease the occurrence of insecurity by allowing registered students to collect two bags of groceries twice a month at no cost, so that they use their funds to pay for other obligations, like bills that often have to come before food. It’s because of this resource that many students no longer have to worry about getting a second or even third job to make ends meet, thus easing stress and improving grades and their overall wellbeing.
“Any currently registered student is welcome to use the Food Pantry. All they have to do is fill out a form and then they can go pick out their needed food, toiletries and child care products,” said Karen Schaumann, Service-Learning Coordinator and Sociology professor, in regards to the procedure for accessing this resource. Forms may be filled out inside the Student Activities Office on main campus and in Room 256 of the Radcliff campus.

The Food Pantry is currently in need of goods such as toilet paper, dish soap and hygienic products. Those interested in supporting the Food Pantry are encouraged to participate in the upcoming Empty Bowl Luncheon Dec. 9 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. At the event, participants can purchase a hand-crafted bowl created by students in ceramic classes, have a bowl of soup donated by Food Services and freshly baked bread made by Culinary Arts students.
All proceeds from the event will go toward purchasing food, hygiene and child care products for the pantry.
Students can also help by placing non-perishable items in the soup-can shaped donation barrel with the Student Activities logo in the center located around campus. Each building has at least one barrel available for donations. Students can also participate in food drives on campus throughout the semester.
No matter the circumstances or need, the Food Pantry and Schoolcraft College is here to help. For more information on the Food Pantry, contact the Student Activities Office at 734-462-4422.

Photos by Clarisa Russenberger | Photo Editor