Reaching beyond Schoolcraft

PTK looking for volunteers for St. Leo’s Soup Kitchen

Elyse Salmon, Staff Writer

With the holiday season just around the corner, what better way to give back to the community then by volunteering to a cause.
Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) Honor Society is hosting an opportunity for students, staff and faculty to feed the hungry, help their community and support the mission of St. Leo’s Soup Kitchen in providing meals to the less fortunate within the Detroit community Nov. 23 and Dec. 7 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
All Schoolcraft and Phi Theta Kappa members are welcome to attend these events.
“It’s a great opportunity for our members to do good in the community,” said PTK president Matthew Fular. “It gives members a chance to mix it up from the weekly college grind once a month while also giving aid to those who need it.”
Phi Theta Kappa members also earn one star for volunteering which will later lead to “par excellence” when they achieve 6 stars.
According to Fular, volunteering also helps for letter of recommendations for their members (upon request), by featuring their volunteerism.
Located at 4860 15th St. in Detroit, St. Leo’s Catholic Church has a history of reaching out to the community since the 1900s. Although the parish has since closed, St. Leo’s now serves its community as a nonprofit organization by providing medical treatment, social services and around 40,000 meals a year to the homeless in Detroit.
Take this opportunity to feed the hungry, help your community and join St. Leo’s long-standing mission of helping the needy by volunteering at St. Leo’s Soup Kitchen.
Sign up is not required but appreciated. Interested students can contact the Student Activities Office at 734-462-4422 to do so and meet at St. Leo’s at 9 a.m. on either volunteering days. Volunteers interested in carpooling to St. Leo’s can meet in the Student Activities Center at 8 a.m.
For more information contact Matthew Fular at [email protected].

Image courtesy of modelhighschool.wordpress.com