Paying it forward

Women’s Basketball begins 2019-20 season under new coach

Elyse Salmon, Staff Writer

It’s a new era for the Schoolcraft Women’s Basketball team. The Ocelots welcomed Shay Lewis, as the new head coach this past August. Lewis is no stranger to this area and the life around a basketball court has been a constant part of her life.
In a press release by the College, athletic director Cali Crawford comments on the hiring of Lewis.
“Shay brings a wealth of experience to Schoolcraft College that we believe will transform and take our program to the next level. Shay brings her deep-rooted connections within the Metro Detroit area, along with the high school level and AAU circuit. Most importantly, Shay carries all the characteristics and values that we believe will help cultivate the culture for our Women’s basketball program,” said Crawford.

Lewis was born in the Detroit area and graduated from Rochester Hills Adams High School. She continued her education at Wayne State University and received a Bachelor of Arts in Radio/TV/Film and a Master of Arts in Sports Administration. Lewis has worked in numerous positions from the Director of Basketball Operations for Oakland University’s Division 1 program, to assistant and head coach positions at the high school, college and professional level and also as a Team Manager for the WNBA Detroit Shock.
She attributes these positions to providing her the experience of working with various coaches and programs that helped her develop her own program.
Lewis lives as a difference-maker and sports are one way she makes a positive impact on others.
“I love being a difference maker, role model and giving back. Sports have been a huge part of my life and has shaped me in a positive way, I love being able to pay it forward to today’s generation,” said Lewis.
She pays it forward in her love of being able to mentor young women players and by instilling a culture of accountability and togetherness on her team. This starts with daily practice at 5:30 a.m. every morning Monday through Friday. She isn’t accepting anything less than dedication from her players.
Freshman power forward and kinesiology major, Carly Loving, says, “Coach Lewis cares not only about our development in the game but also in life. She pushes us to become better players, people, students, friends and so much more. She truly cares about us and never fails to show it day and day out.”
Lewis strives to make a difference not only in her team but also in her community.
Outside of coaching, Lewis is the Director of Athletics Detroit Parks and Recreation, which provides inner-city youth with the opportunity to play sports and stay active.
Fans can see Lewis and the rest of the 2019-20 Ocelots at home Dec. 11 versus Kellogg Community College at 5:30 p.m. and Dec. 21 versus Columbus State College at 1 p.m. before the holiday break. All games are played inside the Physical Education Building Gymnasium.
For a complete schedule, standings and roster go to www.mccaa.org.

Photos by Clarisa Russenberger | Photo Editor