Ocelot updates

College adjusts to COVID-19 pandemic

Ocelot+updates

Madison Ling and Josiah Thomas

As the campus and the world at large adjust to the coronavirus pandemic, Schoolcraft College (SC) closed its buildings to the public and directed visitors to contact student services by phone or email. SC took these precautions for the safety and health of everyone at the college. The COVID-19 crisis is a situation that’s changing by the day, but key college operations still continue.

Building closures and remote Student Services

The Fitness Center, Children’s Center and Henry’s Food Court will be closed through minimum Monday, March 30. The students and community should visit Schoolcraft’s website to monitor future closings and when classes may resume.
Computer labs are closed in the McDowell Center.
From March 16 to April 13 the library is closed. Please contact the library reference desk at [email protected] or (734) 462-5316 during regular business hours for library assistance. Visit schoolcraft.edu/library/library for more details on library services for remote users.
If you have questions regarding specific subject matter, library liaisons can assist. For a complete list of library liaisons by subject matter go to schoolcraft.edu/library/library-liaisons.
On March 16 the Learning Center began offering their services remotely to ensure academic success. These services include but are not limited to drop-in and appointment-based tutoring, peer writing support and academic success coaching.
For more information about any of these opportunities, please visit the college’s website at schoolcraft.edu/lac/learning-center.
Registering for classes, financial aid, book orders and filing an appeal through SC Aware will have to be done online. Financial aid, advising, tutoring, questions in veteran’s benefits and other services are available by online or by phone.
Available through phone, mySchoolcraft Support is providing student services at the drop of a text message. They will answer questions, provide advice and refer students to the best campus resource to answer them.
“We know a lot is in flux right now,” said a representative from mySchoolcraft Support. “We will be here the rest of the term with updates and advice from Schoolcraft.”

Campus Events

All Schoolcraft College-sponsored events are canceled through May 16, including the commencement ceremony which was scheduled to take place May 2. Club meetings are currently canceled until further notice per shutdown guidelines. Any events that were to be conducted through the VisTaTech Center are canceled through April 13. Clients will be contacted about these changes and the reopening date remains to be determined.

Credit Classes

Face-to-face classes are canceled until further notice. Lab classes that don’t transition to the online format are suspended until April 6, unless other arrangements have been made. However, alternative arrangements are at the discretion of the instructor. As such, students should contact their instructors with any questions or concerns in regard to how these activities will be conducted remotely. Many traditional courses converted to Blackboard Collaborate for lectures and assignments as well. It’s imperative that students learn about their course’s platform and what is expected of them to ensure academic success.
Those who wish to enroll for Spring and Summer classes will have their enrollment fees waived. In addition, the Schoolcraft College Foundation is offering the $500 Distance Learning Scholarship for those who enroll for classes in both semesters
For more information and concerns about classes, please call 734-462-4486 or email [email protected].

Continuing Education & Professional Development

All fitness and aquatics classes have canceled for the rest of the semester. Most other CEPD classes will continue and some are currently transitioning to a distance learning format with a notice from instructors.
The next registration period for CEPD courses began March 19. Registration may be completed online through schoolcraft.edu/cepd/register, by calling 734-462-4426, by placing a hard copy of the registration form in the Dropbox outside McDowell Student Center or mailing it to the Registration Office.
For more info on CEPD classes, contact Continuing Ed at [email protected] or at 734-462-4448.

Financial Aid

Financial aid from the winter semester only applies to this semester. It doesn’t roll over into the Spring or Summer semesters. However, there are still funds available for displaced workers, guest students and other student populations. All service for the Financial Aid Office is being conducted remotely, so students should contact them at 734-462-4433 or [email protected].

Remarks from President Dr. Conway Jeffress

As the campus adjusts to this new norm, online instruction and student services are going to carry the college through the spring and summer semesters. The vast majority of those working and studying at SC are doing their work remotely.
Though not everyone adjusts to this format easily, Dr. Conway Jeffress remains positive about the college’s transition.
“Students have been positive because they recognize that our situation is complex and our options are very limited,” he commented. “I feel sure we will make it.”
For the latest information on COVID-19 and how it affects Schoolcraft College, please check back on this page for future updates. To access contact information during the present quarantine, visit schoolcraft.edu/coronavirus, scroll to the bottom of the page, then click “Expand All” to see the departments available to contact. Further information on the college’s operations is also available at schoolcraft.edu/coronavirus.