Become an Ocelot

Schoolcraft’s Volleyball and Soccer teams looking for new recruits

Matthew Fular, Editor-in-Chief

Update

Please note that as of Aug. 15, tryouts for women’s volleyball have been cancelled. If you are still interested in participating, complete the following form to get in touch with head coach Jaison “Faisa” George: schoolcraft.edu/athletics/women’s-volleyball/join.

Please note that as of Aug. 19, tryout dates have been updated for both men and women’s soccer tryouts. Women’s soccer will hold tryouts on Monday, Aug. 24 at 9 a.m. until 11 a.m. Men’s soccer tryouts will also be held on Aug. 24 at 12:30 p.m. until  2:30 p.m. Both tryouts will be held on the outdoor soccer field and require paperwork prior to attending.

Calling all athletes: if you’re interested in participating in college sports your time to shine may be on the way.

Fall sports tryouts are fast approaching and several teams are looking for talented individuals to take the field and court for the 2020-2021 season. Both men’s and women’s soccer teams and the women’s volleyball team will be holding open tryouts next week, and here is what you can expect.

Women’s Volleyball

The open tryouts for women’s volleyball will be held on Monday, Aug. 17, from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. The second day of tryouts are by invitation only and will be held Aug. 18 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. The tryouts will be held at the Schoolcraft College Gym.

“Tryouts are an exciting time as you can put [student-athletes] through various skills and play and see how they handle it,” said women’s volleyball head coach Jaison “Faisa” George. “Day One is all about skill focus, Day Two is about play and apply, [I am] looking to find the blue-collar athletes that know only to work hard.”

When asked what traits he is looking for in a player, Faisa replied “I want the blue-collar kid. Talent catches my eye, but hard work impresses me. [We] also need a communicator on the court, those players that take responsibility and have a belief when playing and practicing.”

Before you can attend you must fill out the pre-tryout paperwork which can be acquired from the Faisa.

You can obtain these documents by reaching out to coach Faisa at [email protected] or (248) 797-3247. Before participating in tryouts, students must get a physical and COVID-19 test. These, as well as other documents, must be in before student athletes will be allowed to participate.

“Culture change comes first,” says Faisa to hopeful recruits. “Things will be different and players will have a chance to build character while becoming an ocelot. Challenges must be welcomed!”

Men’s Soccer

Men’s soccer will hold open tryouts at the St. Joe’s Sports Dome on Monday, Aug. 17, from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Day Two of tryouts are by invitation only and will be held Aug. 18 during the same time frame.

Individuals who are interested in trying out for men’s soccer can reach out to head coach Rick Larson for more information and the required paperwork. Coach Larson can be reached at [email protected] or via cell at (734) 564-3693.

Women’s Soccer

Women’s soccer tryouts will take place at Schoolcraft’s outdoor soccer field on Monday, Aug. 17, from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. The second day of tryouts will be held Aug. 18 and are by invitation only.

Individuals who are interested in trying out for women’s soccer can reach out to head coach Joe Carver for more information and the required paperwork. You can reach out to coach Carver at [email protected] or via cell at (248) 855-3759.

You can learn more about Schoolcraft’s Athletic Department and all the sports available at Schoolcraft at schoolcraft.edu/athletics.