Empty Bowl fundraiser to help erase hunger

Proceeds to benefit Student Food Pantry

Ben Bolstrum, News Editor

Unfortunately, due to the MDHHS guidelines this event has been CANCELLED.

However, if would like to donate to the Student Food Pantry, the Schoolcraft Foundation has setup a link for those interested in assisting with the program with monetary donations. Donations can be made through this link: https://secure.acceptiva.com/?cst=keHyhf

Just click on Student Food Pantry in the dropdown menu for designation.

Help Schoolcraft erase hunger with the Empty Bowl event on Wednesday, Dec. 2, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Faculty and staff are welcome to attend and buy a bowl created by students from the Schoolcraft ceramic department. Funds from this program will go toward filling up Schoolcraft’s Food Pantry.

Social distancing will be in effect, with only 15 people allowed inside at a time. Masks are mandatory as well as an employee health self-screen before entering the building.

“This program is important, because it is one of our main fundraisers for the Food Pantry,” states Todd Stowell, Director of Student Activities. “Especially now, due to COVID, there is an increasing number of students that need help with food insecurity. With less people coming to campus, there is a decrease in food donations. With events being limited, there are also less opportunities to conduct fundraisers for the pantry.”

Stowell notes that due to COVID, turnout is going to be lower without student assistance, so any support will be appreciated.

“This program has been taking place at Schoolcraft for many years and is coordinated by the Student Activities Office,” explains Stowell. “The relationship we formed with the Ceramics Instructors and students has given us the ability to hold this program.”

Stowell commends the Food Service Department as well as the Culinary Arts Department for their donations of food for the pantry and promotion of the fundraiser. In the past, the Student Activities Board has set up the bowls and served soup and bread, but due to COVID restrictions, soup will not be distributed.

Time slots will be every half-hour from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Please email Elizabeth Machniak at [email protected] to schedule your preferred time to participate.

For those who are not interested in purchasing a bowl or are not on campus at this time, but would still like to donate to the Food Pantry, the Schoolcraft Foundation has a fundraiser setup here: secure.acceptiva.com/?cst=keHyhf.

For more information, contact the Student Activities Office at 734-462-4422.

Story has been updated as of November 30, 2020 at 4:15 p.m.