Joy to the world

College collects children’s gifts to donate to Wayne County Family Center

Ben Bolstrum, News Editor

The winter season is the busiest time for homeless shelters and The Wayne County Family Center (WCFS) in Westland is no exception.

The center currently is housing 53 children, with this number expected to rise deeper into the winter months. Many of these children will experience a holiday season gifts, but Schoolcraft’s Liberal Arts Division, the Students Activities Office and the Honors Scholars Program aims to change that. Help spread some cheer this holiday season by participating in the Share Joy Schoolcraft holiday donation drive from Dec. 10 to 21.

The WCFS recommends gifts between $25 to $30 in value. Suggested goods range from toiletries, clothes, food or toys (with batteries if necessary). Gifts should be brought to the Students Activities Office in a bag denoting the gender and age of the recipient. Drop-off times are weekdays between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. It is requested that the Student Activities Office is called before a gift being dropped off and can be contacted at 734-462-4422.

To participate in this event contact Anna Maheshwari, the event’s coordinator, at 248-345-5313 or [email protected] to receive the gender and age of the child to shop for.

These gifts are not restricted to what is in a wallet, however. It has become tradition that staff and faculty sew and donate pillowcases for each child in the shelter. These cases are used as a gift bag when the time comes for the children to receive their gifts. Arrangements will be made for those who wish to sew.

As of today, only 24 out of 53 children in this shelter have been adopted. Make their Christmas a memorable one and spread the spirit of giving. Share the joy of the holidays with those who need it most this year.

For more information, please contact, Anna Maheshwari at [email protected] , Mary Rader at [email protected] or the Student Activities Office at 734-462-4422.

Photo courtesy of Ben White