When is punishment just

Focus Series Human Rights presentation to be held on Zoom Jan. 28

Ben Bolstrum, Managing Editor

The Declaration of Independence was drafted and signed in 1776, heralding a promise to all American’s. The document began: “We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.” Ever since that fateful, July 4, 245, years ago, America has strived to keep that promise. On Jan. 28 at 1 p.m. Schoolcraft aims to further this goal with the Human Rights Focus Series.

The upcoming presentation by Dr. Athena Kheibari, Ph.D. will educate viewers on capital punishment, life imprisonment, and why these may not be desirable outcomes to employ in the courtroom.

A hot button issue in the United States, the death penalty has been disputed for years. The death penalty is still legal 29 states, the federal government and the U.S. military for what are deemed appropriate cases. The question that many people hold is what makes a case appropriate as well as other ethical concerns such as whether a prison’s goal is to punish or rehabilitate. The same concerns arise for life in prison which is considered a step down from capital punishment. Dr. Kheibari will educate the audience on what these concerns entail and why they should be investigated.

Dr. Kheibari has years of social work experience and currently works at the Wayne State University School of Social Work where she is employed as an assistant professor. In addition to her social work knowledge, she has also been a capital mitigation specialist who works to prevent the use of the death sentence in criminal cases for three years.

Experts like Dr. Kheibari have dedicated their career to fighting for and researching different potential outcomes for inmates other than death or life imprisonment. She has put great passion in this cause and aims to share her findings with the world.

To attend this event, please visit ZOOM through the following link: schoolcraftcollege.zoom.us/j/83641905535

You can also join by using the following Meeting ID: 836 4190 5535.