Full steam ahead

STEAMz program returns to Schoolcraft

Ben Bolstrum, Managing Editor

STEAMz Schoolcraft has long cared about the future of Schoolcraft students. That is why the program will return to the college in 2021 with student-led conferences on Thursday, March 25, and Friday, March 26, from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.

STEAMz aims to give students, specifically those falling under generation Z, an opportunity to learn about fields that fall under the STEAM umbrella. Some of these fields are the Arts, Humanities and Sciences. While they are all inherently connected through this program, a vast array of options is explored within. In the past, this event has led to students discover different types of jobs that they may be interested in learning more about and possibly pursuing in the future.

“If you’re a student, attend to see peers present,” explains Sharon Christian, Chair of the STEAMz Committee. “Examine how our presenters explore tangible ways to strengthen their academic and professional experience, all while pursuing their passions at Schoolcraft,” Christian goes on to explain that community members are also welcomed to attend the event to observe students discussing their passions and ideas that will shape the future. The event is free and completely open to anyone interested.

This year, focus will be set on how society and technology has advanced and what that means for students not only in their workplace, but their communities and daily life as well. This theme will be known as “The World Reimagined.” Those interested in getting involved with STEAMz, proposals consisting of presentations or artwork may be submitted for review, evaluated by their creativity, themes, and the ability for the creator to address their concerns.

Student Advocates

“I presented my own research on how being LGBTQ+ can affect one’s mental health,” explains 2020 STEAMz speaker and Schoolcraft graduate, Raymond Falkiewicz. “The STEAMz committee was very helpful with keeping me on track, helping me from my proposal, finding important resources, and brainstorming research questions with me.”

Falkiewicz went on to say that the committee was very quick to adapt to the challenges that COVID-19 brought with it and mention how exciting it was to watch their peers present their own projects. Students felt equal enthusiasm about their own with support from friends, family and past professors.

Corin Tyler, President of Phi Theta Kappa and 2020 STEAMz presenter echoed Falkiewicz’s remarks and had this to say about his experience with the program.

“STEAMz is a truly enlightening experience into the creative passions of some of Schoolcraft’s brightest and most interesting students. Each participating student chose something that was personal and inspiring to them, and in presenting at STEAMz they shared and showcased this passion and inspiration to other students through a creative medium. There were many unique presentations, and each student found a way to bridge science, technology, engineering, and mathematics with art, which emphasized the phenomenon of living in our current age as a generation Z student.”

The research and experiential learning opportunities available by participating in STEAMz are unique and allow students to marry both passion and professional goals. This is why students are encouraged to submit any proposals they may have, regardless of the topic.

“All students should truly consider participating in STEAMz because the whole process and experience is very valuable, it is a conduit to show leadership, but more than that it involves the discipline of working hard to show the beauty and wonder of something that sparked your childlike curiosity,” states Tyler. “When you have worked hard to polish your speech, presentation, and materials, you will share this wonder with your fellow students and therefore inspire them to find the same spark within themselves.  I know that for me personally, I became a stronger, more well-rounded student leader because of the STEAMz experience and I know that other students will reap the same rewards.”

Details and Deadlines

Proposals are due on Tuesday, Feb. 16, by 5 p.m. Those accepted will be notified via email or phone within two weeks of the proposal submission. To create a proposal, please click here.

To register for the free STEAMz conference, please click here.

For more information about STEAMz and the upcoming conference, or proposals visit schoolcraft.edu/lac or contact Sharon Christian at [email protected]