Opportunities for holiday giving

Phi Theta Kappa sponsors three donation drives this holiday season

Ben Bolstrum, Editor-In-Chief

With the holiday season out in full force, the spirit of charity is in the air. For those feeling generous as the winter months begin, look no further than Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) Omicron Iota Chapter, which is sponsoring three different donation drives to help foster children in need.

Project Hope

Many students take for granted just how many supplies it takes to succeed in an academic setting. Not everyone has the means to stock up on the wide variety of tools needed. This is why PTK has launched “Project Hope” to provide these supplies to high school foster care students who can benefit from them during the college experience from now until Dec. 6.

“Project Hope is an Initiative to help foster care students that are aging out of the system to make it independently either when they’re entering the workforce or higher education” said president of PTK Omicron Iota Chapter, Abby Walters.

Harnessing the potential of our youth. Opportunities to gain workforce readiness. Powering success through innovative thinking. Educating foster care youth to become leaders of the future. 

Many students lack resources to attend college and/or obtain employment. School supplies such as binders, plain print and notebook paper, spiral notebooks, pens, pencils, highlighters, folders, sticky notes, flash drives, calculators, index cards, staplers, staples, scissors, rulers, erasers and paper clips are highly sought after for this drive. These donations will be distributed on campus sometime in earlier Dec. during a workshop where backpacks full of these supplies will be given to recipients.

All donated items may be deposited at the Student Activities Office (SAO) in the Lower Level of the VisTaTech Center, or call 734-464-4422 for pick up or questions.

Share the Warmth

In a joint effort between PTK and the Student Activities Board (SAB), the Share the Warmth Clothing Drive has returned this year to provide clothes to families in need. 

Hats, gloves, scarves, socks, boots and other warm clothing items are in high demand and will be donated between several foster care donations within the community. From now until Dec. 6

“We are doing this warm clothing drive to help get donations that we can give to different centers so we can give them more clothes for the cold winter months. Anything that can help these children during these times is vital” said Walters.

Personal Hygiene Drive

First impressions can mean a lot and that is why so many people hold personal hygiene to such a high standard. That being said, it can be difficult for foster care students to receive the care they need. This is why PTK Omicron Iota and Amnesty International have teamed up to create the Personal Hygiene Drive. The drive runs through Dec. 6.

Toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, soap, shampoo, conditioner, wipes, sanitizer, lotion, feminine products and toilet paper are all in high demand.

“Another need demonstrated by some of our partnering organizations was for personal hygiene items,” said PTK officer Madison Ling. “The organizations that house and care for foster youth often depend on donated items to help provide for children. This drive will help to do that and in turn, increase community awareness of the challenges foster youth face.”

Celebrate the season of giving by helping those in need during these trying times. A little can go a long way and a simple small action may make the day of someone who needs help.