Bolstrum: End of the chapter, not the book

Ben Bolstrum, Editor-in-Chief

They say all good things come to an end, but what does that really mean? The good times don’t have to end, sometimes the scenery just has to change. I’ve been lucky enough to write for the Connection for three years and even though it’s time for me to move on, there are still so many voices left in my wake. I have had more than enough time to write about myself. For my Farewell Letter, I would rather tell you about some people who helped me along the way. 

To the Connection team.

You’ve always been ready to help wherever needed. Truly rising to the occasion, and in record time. You’ve produced six print newspapers after a two year hiatus. Passion isn’t a strong enough word to convey your work. Some of the strongest, most creative voices I’ve come across are right here in room 166. Your skill is nothing short of enviable. Always ready to share an idea or accomplish a plan, all the while tirelessly working to keep the paper moving. The future of this publication is in good hands to say the least.

To the Student Activities Office staff.

What a group. You’ve each helped the Connection in your own right. From helping advertise, to getting involved in stories of your own, the paper wouldn’t be the same without you. From the mountains of pizza to the late nights, these memories are too strong and plentiful to forget any time soon.

To my friends and family.

The invaluable support I’ve received from you has been nothing short of humbling. With your affirmations, my work now exists forever in perpetuity online and in print. From reading and sharing our stories to tolerating my rants, I couldn’t have done it without you.

To you, dear reader.

It all comes down to you. I’ve loved you, I’ve feared you and I’ve been inspired by you. I’ve learned more in the past three years than I have all my life because of you. I’ve made mistakes, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. 

Who could have guessed that I would end up here three years ago? 

Not me, but I’m sure glad I did. So this is not a goodbye. It’s just a change of scenery.

Who can say whether that scenery will be me panhandling under a bridge, or back in the saddle as a writer some place else, but I’ll never forget my time at The Schoolcraft Connection.

To all the people I’ve met, places I’ve been, and stories I’ve told. You are my legacy.

Thank you.

Ben Bolstrum can be reached at bolstrum[email protected].