The next page

Pageturners returns for the fall semester

Pageturners

Ben Bolstrum, Managing Editor

Need an excuse to dive into a good book? The annual Pageturners Book Club has returned and boasts several new options to delve into for the fall semester. 

Pageturners isn’t just about reading, however. The event creates a space where participants can discuss thoughts and feelings behind each book with their peers. Thus, generating an environment of discovery in the community and encouraging an open dialogue. Each book discussion is also accompanied by an event related to the subject matter. This includes a panel discussion, theater production, movie screenings and a meet-the-author event.

Frankenstein“Frankenstein”

Kicking off this run of Pageturners for the month of September is “Frankenstein” by Mary Shelley: The iconic story of how a scientist is able to create life from death, and the ramifications that come with such an action. This book was chosen in collaboration with the Schoolcraft Theatre Department who will also put on a production of “The Gravedigger: A Frankenstein Story” by Joseph Zettelmaier, and directed by Michael Alan Herman in a run that will last from the end of October into early November. Those interested in hearing what others have to say about this story may participate in the book discussion on Sept. 27, at 1:30 p.m. in the Biomedical Technology Center, room 120 or attend the film screening on Sept. 29, at 1:30 p.m. in McDowell room 100 B&C.

On the Fringe“On the Fringe: Where Science Meets Pseudoscience” 

The Pageturners book for October will be “On the Fringe: Where Science Meets Pseudoscience” by Michael D. Gordin, which discusses what it means to expand the boundaries of science and what that has meant throughout history, as well as how the future could benefit. Those interested in hearing what others have to say about this story may participate in the book discussion on Oct. 25, at 1:30 p.m. in the Biomedical Technology Center, room 120 or attend the Panel Discussion on Oct. 27, at 1:30 p.m. in McDowell 100 B&C. The discussion also features a collaboration with Dr. Mark Huston’s HUM190 course. 

True Biz“True Biz”

Finally, the November selection is “True Biz” by Sara Novic, which explores a year in the life of a fictitious teacher and her students at a boarding school for the deaf. This book is a result of a collaboration with Deborah Burke and her PSYCH229 course. Those interested in hearing what others have to say about this story may participate in the book discussion on Nov. 15, at 1:30 p.m. in the Biomedical Technology Center, room 120 or attend the film screening on Nov. 17, at 1:30 p.m. in Mcdowell 100 B&C.

Founded in 1993 by Dr. Faye Schuett, then chaired by Ela Rybicka, Pageturners will soon see 30 years in operation, allowing plenty of time to develop and expand its purpose.

“One of the main goals of Pageturners is to provide an opportunity for all of the Schoolcraft

College community to discuss one’s own interpretations of a variety of works while being

exposed to the thoughts, impressions, and reactions of others.” said co-coordinator of Pageturners, Denise Schell. “[It] provides all interested parties with a forum for discussing an interesting book with individuals who may have experienced the book in a very different way.”

Pageturners expands the limits of reading through healthy discussion and debates. Much like the Schoolcraft community, these books are written from, or cover a vast amount of backgrounds which in turn offers an opportunity for all kinds of viewpoints, being the students, staff, faculty or community members to feel welcome and eager to participate in the available events. This way, books that may have never been considered by some can be read, enjoyed and explored to a greater degree than it would have been alone.

“Pageturners provides all interested parties with a forum for discussing an

interesting book with individuals who may have experienced the book in a very different way,” said Schell. “This only adds to the richness of our discussions, and on more than one occasion, a participant will state that he or she planned on going back and re-reading the book through a different Lens.”

Despite COVID causing a dip in participation for the event, safe options to continue discussion are being promoted to allow safe practices. This includes both in-person as well as remote virtual access to discussion events which can be found on Blackboard Collaborate at the following guest link: Click Here as well as by phone at +1-571-392-7650 PIN: 819 517 4794.

For more information, contact Schell at [email protected].