Before saying goodbye

Schoolcraft gears up for 2023 Commencement

Ben Bolstrum, Managing Editor

The winter semester is coming to a close May 1, which means it’s almost time for some Ocelots to leave the den and pursue their next chapter. Before moving on, graduates are invited to the 58th annual Schoolcraft College Commencement Ceremony scheduled for May 6 at 1 p.m. in Trinity EliteSports Center on.

Prior to the big day, students must attend the Grad Fair at the Livonia Campus Bookstore, either April 19 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. or April 20 from 1 to 7 p.m. in order to purchase a cap and gown for 50 dollars to wear at the event, as well as guest tickets. Graduation announcements, diploma frames and specialty cords will also be available for order.

Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) members can order honors regalia through the Student Activities Office (SAO) at 734-462-4422 prior to the Grad Fair starting April 3.

Finally, professional headshots will be available to be taken at the Grad Fair. These photos will be displayed on screen during Graduation as students receive their diploma. Graduates may wear their cap and gown or professional attire when photographed. 

Students who are not interested in being photographed or unable to attend the Grad Fair will have a stock image shown instead.

Graduation will be an event to be celebrated. Past alumni have enjoyed commemorating their experience at Schoolcraft and the excitement wont stop this year.

“It felt amazing to be with hundreds of other students just like me, ready to start their lives!” said Schoolcraft alumna Samantha Giglio, who received her diploma for an Associates of the Arts in spring 2022. “Aside from this new chapter, graduating students have so much to look forward to while at graduation! Photos, meeting Ozzy the Ocelot, final bonding moments with classmates and empowering speeches from staff and students.” 

Graduation is not only a social event, but also an opportunity to commemorate the hard work students went through to finally reach their graduation. 

“I’m proud of myself for how far I have come in my education at Schoolcraft,” said Abigail Walters, who will be receiving her Associates in Early Childhood Education this spring. “I excelled in my academics, became (PTK) President and worked on campus. By getting involved [with the community] I made some great friends and I’m looking forward to putting on my cap and gown and walking across the stage with some of the friends I made here. We worked hard and now we get to celebrate our accomplishments.”

Don’t let the memories you make on campus be the end of the story. Take this stepping stone and keep that Ocelot pride forever. Join the ranks of these students both past and present to celebrate the achievements won and friends made at Schoolcraft College.

For more information on the Grad Fair, or to register for graduation, visit the Schoolcraft website https:/www.schoolcraft.edu.