The Student News Site of Schoolcraft College

Schoolcraft Connection

Schoolcraft Connection

Schoolcraft Connection

The Schoolcraft Greenhouse is located adjacent to the Forum Building.
Greet the greenery
April 29, 2024

A jungle of a house

Joshua Hardy
The Schoolcraft Connection 2023-24 Editorial Staff
Ilustration by Sasha Spearman

Associated with creating a calm ambiance and arguably an indicator of personality, house plants make your house feel more like a home. As a tangible object, house plants may reduce anxiety due to the sensation of control given to the caregiver. Plus, you are just cooler with house plants; whether they are real, or fake (foreshadowing). 

Pothos

Resilient, green and mighty. Native to China, Southeast Asia, Australia, The Indian subcontinent and numerous islands throughout the Indian and Pacific Oceans the Epipremnum Aureum, otherwise known as Pothos, has become a beloved houseplants by all vine favors. It has relatively easy care with strict rules, as it may tolerate lower lighting and refuses direct sun. This plant enjoys consistently moist, well-draining soil (coconut coir or substantially farmed sphagnum moss may be good additions), thus excluding clay-based soil. The more indirect sunlight, the more likely there will be variegation, or light streaks, throughout the leaves. Pothos is also relatively pest free and easy to propagate, but is poisonous to humans, cats and dogs due to its calcium oxalates so avoid consumption! 

Aloe vera

Aloe vera is a succulent plant species. Aloe vera is a one-stop shop; not only does this plant beautify your home, but it has many other uses. Aloe vera can treat skin injuries such as burns, cuts, insect bites and eczema. Aloe may help with digestive problems because of its anti-inflammatory and wound-healing properties. Aloe also contains vitamins A, C and E which promotes hair growth.

Pink Princess Philodendron

The Pink Princess Philodendron, native to Columbia, has deep green heart shaped leaves with bubblegum pink variegation. The pink color occurs naturally, unlike the Philodendron pink congo, their pink leaves are chemically induced. The Pink Princess is considered a rare plant and on many plant collector lists. Though Pink Princesses is classified as an easy plant, it prefers humidity as it is a tropic plant. She would wilt if she was in direct sunlight, therefore, it needs indirect bright light. The soil needs to be well drained and watered when the top of the soil is dry. Pink princess is the perfect plant to captivate your plant loving heart. 

String of Hearts 

Enchanting with their elegant long vines and lovely heart shaped leaves, the String of Hearts (also known as Ceropegia Woodii) is a delightful addition to any houseplant collection. They exhibit a mostly rich shade of forest green, with some varieties including dark shades of red and purple along the edges of its leaves and stems. This beautiful flora is native to southern Asia, Australia and Africa and can easily be maintained as both an indoor and outdoor plant by simply being placed in the brightest location. Getting as much sunlight as possible not only ensures proper nutrition, while maintaining its gorgeous vivid coloring. The string of hearts grow at a rapid rate when properly cared for; reaching an incredible length of up to four meters long. This charming plant offers several benefits aside from just being beautiful, including air purification and possessing anti-allergen properties. Even more wonderful news, this plant is completely non-toxic to both dogs and cats! 

Pachira Aquatica

People often say money doesn’t grow on trees, but this tree says the contrary. The Pachira Aquatica, commonly known as the Money Tree, unfortunately doesn’t grow cash. However, it can certainly cost a lot of it! Originally native to Central and South America, this plant has grown into the homes of millions around the globe as a common houseplant. For those without green thumbs, this tree can be a great low maintenance plant choice, handling low light environments with waterings every 2-3 weeks. With its gorgeous, emerald green leaves, sturdy bark and resilient nature, money trees make an excellent choice for adding a little green to your space. 

Bonsai

Bonsai trees are a sign of strength and beauty. Contrary to popular belief, bonsais actually require a lot of work and attention. When properly cared for, they can live for hundreds of years! If you’re an 80s kid, you’ve likely heard of the bonsai tree from “Karate Kid.” Nowadays, bonsais can be purchased at specialty shops, but they may come at a price. Quality Bonsais range from $150-15,000! 

Fake plants

Roses are red, violets are blue, fake plants are THE plant for you! Naturally, the best houseplants are the unnatural ones. Fake plants are the ideal plant to keep around due to the fact that they are invincible. That feeling you get when a plant dies? You never get that with fake plants! They are your friends forever, even when your human ones decide to ghost you. You get all of the fun with fake plants, but none of the responsibility! (Perfect for people with commitment issues!) You can get fake plants in whatever plant form you want, so you can never go wrong!

Herbs

If you are a minimalist and still want to bring vibrant colors to your home, you can use fresh herbs. Fresh herbs take up less space then most house plants and provide a functional purpose as well. Rosemary is a universally great herb that is easy to grow and goes great in every meal. Rosemary prefers light drought weather, so missing a couple days of watering will not bother this plant. Rosemary does require full sunlight for six hours a day, so it will need to be placed in a windowsill or the use of a grow lamp. Preferring light drought weather and direct sunlight means rosemary is great at tolerating higher heat then other plants but does not like the cold. For functionality, simply use scissors to snip off four to six inches of stem. Then, you can rinse and use the whole stem or rinse, snip off, and use the leaves themselves. Rosemary is a perfect house plant for the average minimalist. It provides vibrant color and utility, built in a smaller form factor.

Succulents

If you have a busy schedule and still want to have low maintenance plants, succulents are the best option. This plant is known for their ability to store water in their leaves, stems, or roots, allowing them to survive in arid conditions because they don’t need frequent watering. Succulents come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and colors which are perfect for decoration. Like other plants, succulents absorb carbon dioxide and release oxygen during photosynthesis, improving indoor air quality. Additionally, some succulent varieties can help remove toxins from the air, contributing to a healthier living environment. Overall, succulents are great indoor plants for busy owners , offering beauty, versatility and ease of care.