Perks of community college

Fernanda Figueiredo
2023-24 Schoolcraft Connection Editorial Team

We are all here for a reason. Community colleges provide those in historically underserved populations opportunities of higher education they would have otherwise not been able to access from their 4-year counterparts. Working parents can have much more flexibility while attaining goals to get their families in better positions. The list of circumstances continues on. However, not only do community colleges have diversity in their population, but also diversity in benefits and perks that can give all who attend a collegiate experience. 

Transferability

Transferability of community colleges offers a key stepping stone for many students. Whether it is prerequisite classes that will be transferred to a 4-year university, or learning new necessary skills that will transfer students from job to career. The majority of community colleges, public and independent universities/colleges accept the Michigan Transfer Agreement; including a set of general education requirements that can be transferred from one institution to the next. Due to this attribution of transferability, community colleges provide a welcoming space for the evolving student. 

Flexibility 

Attending community college brings flexibility which allows students to customize their schedule to fit their lifestyle and needs, dramatically increasing their chances of success. Many community colleges offer a range of class styles such as online, remote and in person that allow students to choose a style that works best for their life and learning needs. These classes also allow students to customize their schedule with a combination of various time formats, such as twelve-week courses and fifteen-week courses. This makes it easier for students to analyze their classes and workload and allows them to build schedules unique to their own success. 

Proximity and comfort

Community colleges have the word “community” in them for a reason! 

Being locally focused, community colleges give people access to affordable education close to home. People can feel comfortable in the area they are already in and avoid the hassle of paying for expensive university educations far away from family and friends. Community college campuses also provide a great environment for young adults to adjust to college life. If they choose to continue their education, community colleges can be a wonderful stepping stone between high school and university and act as a way to ease that transition. 

Financial assistance

Going to college can be an overwhelming process in itself, the last thing a student should worry about is how they are going to pay for tuition and books. Community colleges offer an array of scholarships to students such as Michigan Reconnect. Clubs and organizations offer scholarship opportunities such as Phi Theta Kappa which offers their students exclusive scholarships including transfer scholarships. 

Smaller class 

Universities campuses and classrooms can be extremely large and intimidating. At community colleges, the campuses are much smaller. You are likely to run into friends and classmates more often making campus feel more comfortable and connected. Making community college a great place to meet and network with classmates, clubs and organizations. Class sizes are much smaller than at universities as well. Where university classrooms can harbor up to 400 students, most community colleges average about 30 students. This makes learning much more personal and less intimidating.

Affordability

Community colleges offer lower tuition fees compared to four-year universities. Making it a more affordable option for students who want to pursue higher education. Allowing less accumulated substantial debt for students looking to complete their general education requirements or introductory before transferring. Which can significantly reduce the overall cost of their bachelor’s degree. This perspective allows students to save money without sacrificing the quality of their education.

Beyond the classroom 

It may come as a surprise to incoming freshmen that community colleges offer student activities too. Many students are not aware that community colleges offer clubs, activities and even events. Oftentimes we hear of big schools holding large sporting events, dances, activities and fairs. It comes to many students’ surprise when they find out that lots of community colleges offer the same opportunities. 

Practical application

At community college, focusing on your desired career is crucial. They offer hands-on training. This gives students real work situations to use their new set of skills. Students also have the opportunity to acquire a degree or certificate faster than traditional universities.

#CCSmart

Traditionally looked down upon, but in reality, community colleges are often much more beneficial than a larger scale university. With less classes and less people, that allows students to further grow and personalize your college experience. It’s easier to explore and take classes that you’re interested in that allows you to decide what you enjoy, with less pressure than at a university. Making friends with your peers and professors can help make your experience more enjoyable. It’s easier to get involved and decide what you want to get out of your community college classes. Maybe if you get involved, you’ll even end up on marketing material for your campus!