Mightier than the sword

Pageturners to hold 11th annual contest, cash prizes up for grabs

Ben Bolstrum, Staff Writer

Pageturners is hosting their 11th annual Writing and Art Award contest from now until March 30. In order to participate in this event, students must select at least one Pageturners book read during the fall or winter semester and create an essay or artwork dedicated to the title. One submission in one category will be accepted from each participant. Accepted forms of art include drawings, paintings, sculptures, collages, woodcuts or dioramas. Video, film, jewelry and photography will not be accepted. Finally, the students name and phone number should be written on the back of their work.
Writing entries should be 2,000 words or less. Reviews or summaries of the book will also not be accepted. A $250 prize for either type of submission will be awarded to the winners and their creations will be featured on the Pageturners website as well.
“I am happy to announce our annual Pageturners Writing and Art Awards,” said professor Ela Rybicka, “These awards have been created to motivate the students to read, be inspired and create back.”
Books that can be used for this contest at the time of writing are “Rabbit Hole” by David Lindsay-Abaire, “‘Master Harold’…and the Boys” by Athol Fugard, “SEPARATE: The Story of Plessy v. Ferguson, and America’s Journey from Slavery to Segregation” by Steve Luxenberg and “I Was Their American Dream: A Graphic Memoir” by Malaka Gharib.
Each of these books can be purchased at the Schoolcraft College Bookstores for use or checked out at the Bradner Library.
Pageturners is also using these books for discussion events and movie screenings open to the public. 
For more information or to obtain an application, contact Ela Rybicka at [email protected], 734-462-7191 or visit the Liberal Arts Room 544.