Misaligned pathway to success

Success coach Jahquan Hawkins, to host ‘Discover Your Why’ seminar March 17

Madison Ling, Campus Life Editor

Are you currently struggling to adjust to college? Whether you’re first-generation, an international student or simply having a tough time, Schoolcraft College is here to help through the upcoming seminar entitled “Discover your Why.” This seminar will be presented by Oakland Community College’s Dean of Student Services, Jahquan Hawkins, on March 17 from 1 to 2 p.m. on Zoom.

“Annually, I’m invited to speak with students. I strive to help them overcome their intrinsic and extrinsic challenges they face when pursuing a college education,” states Hawkins.

The author, educator and college success coach dedicated the inspiration behind his career and seminar to his own experiences as a first-generation college student.

“Any good idea is rooted in a frustration. For me, it was being a subpar student who came from Detroit Public Schools, went directly into Wayne State University and struggled immensely. If it wasn’t for some very compassionate mentors, I wouldn’t be the person I am now,” Hawkins explained. “I want to help students avoid the same mistakes that I made and acknowledge the fact that they’ll still have obstacles to overcome.”

Today, Hawkins has more than reached his definition of success with his two published books “Finding My Way” and “Donovan’s College Adventure.” In addition to this accomplishment, Hawkins continues to reach the collegiate population by serving as Dean of Student Services at OCC and visiting colleges to provide students with the benefits of an opportunity to find the motivation needed to overcome adversity and a reminder that perfection isn’t required to be successful.

For people struggling in this process, Hawkins leaves them with the following advice:

“I encourage people to remember their toddler-self, their perception of what was possible and why they believed it. They may still believe it or may not, but this should help them reflect upon the importance of the overcoming, persistent nature they once possessed and that they’ll be letting their past and future self-down if they don’t try to achieve what their past self knew to be possible. This helps them find why they are pursuing their goals and the key to unlocking these possibilities is rooted in our why.”

This is not an experience to be missed. Mark your calendars and step onto the patiently awaiting road toward success. For more information, please contact the Student Activities Office at 734-462-4422

To attend, use the provided Zoom information below:

https://schoolcraftcollege.zoom.us/j/82870236660

Meeting ID: 828 7023 6660