Jack Kent Cooke Scholarship accepting applications

Claire Smith, Intern

The Jack Kent Cooke Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship is now open for applications. This is the largest private transfer scholarship in the country, rewarding winners with up to $55,000 per year to attend a 4-year undergraduate university. 

This scholarship gives opportunity to many students who may want to attend a 4-year university, but are worried about the financial repercussions of earning a degree. 

“This is more than a scholarship,” said Laurie Kattuah-Snyder, Chief Student Services Officer at Schoolcraft. “This is a community of scholars, mentors, and advocates.”

The selection process for these awards is rigorous and highly competitive with approximately 50 scholarships awarded each year out of thousands of applicants.  A review panel of distinguished college faculty and staff judge the applicants using criteria including: achievement and academic ability, financial need, persistence, leadership and service to others.

Applicants must be sophomores with a GPA of 3.5 or higher that are planning to enroll full time in a 4-year college or university in the fall of 2022. They must demonstrate unmet financial need and have a maximum gross income of $95,000. Students who have been enrolled in a 4-year school previously are not eligible to apply. 

It is desirable that applicants have a record of strong academic achievement, a lack of necessary income to fund their education, determination to succeed, a leadership background, and a history of philanthropic activities. Applicants should be well-rounded leaders in their educational community. 

Along with the monetary reward, winners become a part of the Jack Kent Cooke Community and receive mentoring to achieve their academic and career goals. The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation wants to enable young people to pursue any career of their choice. 

Among those JCK Scholars from years past are several former Ocelots, including Matthew Cornett (2011); Usha Kadiyala (2013); Jonathan Kris (2014); Maria Cielto (2014); Efua Crenstil (2015); and Elis Sholla (2017). You could be the next one!

All applications must be submitted by Jan. 10, 2022. Semifinalists will be announced by March and winners will be announced by April. 

To find out more about this scholarship and to apply, please visit https://www.jkcf.org/our-scholarships/undergraduate-transfer-scholarship/