Cold as Ice and Hard as Steel

Schoolcraft hockey recruiting for 2022-2023 season

Aidan Tripp

Students interested in joining the 2022-23 Ice Hockey team should join the open skates on Tuesdays at Modono Ice Arena in Westland.

Alex Hawthorne , Staff Writer

Get ready to lace up your skates and grab your hockey sticks, ocelots, because the Schoolcraft Athletics department is recruiting new players for the 2022-2023 hockey season, featuring a series of open skates at The Modano Ice Arena in Westland.

With winter fast approaching and a new season in less than a year, the team is looking to put together a group of all-star players to take home more wins and bring glory to the Schoolcraft Athletics department.

The program will be returning after a two-year hiatus and will have to start from the ground up. Though for Schoolcraft Athletics clerk Patrick Yelsik, this won’t be much of a challenge. According to Yelsik, “We started the open skates not just as a way to gauge interest in the program from the current student population, but to also give them an opportunity to get on the ice and stay sharp.”

During these open skates, many drills will be planned in order to gauge skill levels of each participant. While this event is geared toward future Ocelots, any current Schoolcraft student can come and participate.

In order to be considered for the team, commitment and attendance is required.

In addition to showing promise on their feet, anyone showing up should make sure that they are a superstar in the classroom.

“Like any of our student-athletes, the hockey team members will first-and-foremost need to excel in the classroom before they can excel on the playing surface. They’re going to have to carry a rigorous credit load and will need to show that they can handle that responsibility before the pucks are dropped. The Athletic department staff will be there to help and support them in the classroom, on the ice and everywhere in between,” said Yelsik.

For those who are interested and can commit to the open skate, keep up the academics and put their heart out on the ice, don’t miss the opportunity to be a part of Schoolcraft history by stepping into the rink.

“We’re really looking forward to adding hockey to our family of sports and what it can offer by way of enhancing the student experience and lifelong lessons that it teaches,” said Yelsik.

Open skates are held at The Modano Ice Arena at 6210 N. Wildwood St. in Westland, MI on Tuesdays and Thursdays between Oct. 12-Dec. 16 (with an exemption to Nov. 25) from 1:30-2:50 p.m.

For more information, contact the Schoolcraft Athletics Department at 734-462-4804.