Ocelots recaps for Feb. 22 through March 21

Lee-Elliott Napthen, Staff Writer

Women’s Basketball

March 4 

Schoolcraft College (63) at Oakland CC (68)

The Ocelots fell against the Raiders on Friday, March 4 in the NJCAA Great Lakes District B Women’s Semifinals in Flint, Michigan.. Ruby Garner and Catarina Jaurez led the Ocelots in scoring with 14 points each. This capped off a season in which the Ocelots finished with an impressive 18-7 record. 

Feb. 28 

Schoolcraft College (68) at Muskegon Community College (74)

Schoolcraft fell against Muskegon in the MCCAA championship. After finishing 13-3 in conference play, the Ocelots earned a spot to represent the Eastern division against the Western conference champ Muskegon. Unfortunately, the Ocelots were trailing by 18 points at the half and couldn’t close the gap during the second half, but the Ocelots should be proud after putting up such a successful season. 

Feb. 23 

Alpena Community College (49) at Schoolcraft College (82)

The Ocelots finished the regular season with a blowout victory against Alpena. Ruby Garner led the team in scoring with 14 points while shooting an impressive 85 percent from the field. Catarina Juarez had 9 points, 6 assists and 3 steals. This marks the 18th win for the Ocelots. The team also held a pregame ceremony to honor their sophomores. Sophomores honored include: Justina Szallkowski, Krisma Matthews, Natasha Carter, Nour El-Zein, Samantha Smith, LaZae Mosley and Jasmine Ellis.

Men’s Basketball

Feb. 25 

Wayne County Community College (81) at Schoolcraft College (62)

The Ocelots fell against Wayne on Friday Feb. 25. Keionte Cornelius and Devin White combined for 43 points in the loss. This would mark the end of the Ocelots basketball season; the team finished with a record of 7 wins and 19 losses. 

Feb. 23

Alpena Community College (68) At Schoolcraft College (72)

Schoolcraft came away with a victory at home against Alpena.  Keionte Cornelius led the Ocelots in scoring with an impressive 27 point performance. This marks the seventh win of the season for the Ocelots. 

Mens and Women’s Bowling

NJCAA Bowling Championships

March 3 -5 

The Men’s and Women’s Bowling teams headed to the NJCAA Bowling Championships at Royal Scott in Lansing, Michigan March 3-5

The Men’s team finished 10 out of 22 on the first day of the two day tournament at  the NJCAA Mens bowling championship in Lansing. The Ocelots remained in the middle of the pack and looked to move up on day two of the tournament. On March 5 the team finished with the ninth place spot overall. This led to a finished season in second place within the Eastern Division for Schoolcraft.  

On the women’s side the Ocelots finished in 10th place out of 19 teams after the first day of tournament play. The Ocelots remained in 10th spot after day two and held steady that spot after the final day of tournament play. The team finished second in the MCCAA Eastern Conference. 

Baseball

The Ocelots Baseball team  headed south for a week to prepare for the upcoming season. The team went 2-6 on the road trip.

March 4

Schoolcraft at Rockingham Community College: Double Header

Schoolcraft continued their matchup against Rockingham on Friday, March 4 featuring another double-header matchup. Rockingham won the first game against the Ocelots by a score of 5-3. In the second game the Ocelots came out firing on all cylinders scoring an impressive 11 runs to secure the 11-7 win against Rockingham. Freshman Nathan Saavedra hit his second home run of the year.

March 3

In the first game, the Ocelots fell 5-2 against Rockingham. In the second game, Schoolcraft came out strong and shutout Rockingham, winning by a score of 6-0. Cooper Gean went 4/6 with 1 RBI, 2 walks and 2 stolen bases. Pitcher Josh Micheals went 5 innings and had 2 hits and 2 strikeouts.

Feb. 28

Schoolcraft At Volunteer State Community College : Double Header 

Schoolcraft played a double header against Volunteer State on Monday. Schoolcraft fell in the first matchup by a score of 15-1. In the second matchup, Volunteer State came out on top, winning 12-2 against the Ocelots. 

Feb. 26

Schoolcraft at Motlow State Community College : Double Header

Schoolcraft played two games against Motlow State on Saturday. In the first matchup, the Ocelots fell 14-0. In the second matchup, They also came up short, losing 11-0. 

Womens Softball 

March 4 

Schoolcraft vs Glen Oaks Community College

The Ocelots began Friday’s double header against Glen Oaks. The game was quite low scoring as it seemed neither of the offenses could get past the great pitching. Schoolcraft ended up falling short 2-1 to begin the double-header. 

Schoolcraft vs Florence-Darlington Technical College 

Schoolcraft finished off the double header on Friday against Florence-Darlington Technical college. The Ocelots ended up losing to the Stingers; the final score was 7-3. 

March 3 

Schoolcraft vs Glen Oaks Community College: Double Header

Schoolcraft started off their double header on Thursday against Glen Oaks. The Ocelots came out on top in a close matchup which ended in a score of 4-3 in favor of Schoolcraft. 

Schoolcraft vs College of Lake County

The Ocelots finished off their double-header against Lake County. They suffered a 7-2 loss against Lake County to finish off the Thursday of play. 

March 1

Schoolcraft vs Danville Area Community College: Double Header 

The Ocelots split their double header against Danville on Tuesday. Schoolcraft triumphed in the first matchup winning by a score of 5-4. Unfortunately, the second matchup against Danville led to a  4-1 loss for the Ocelots in the finale of the double header. 

Schoolcraft vs Southeastern Community College
The Ocelots concluded their double header against Southeastern CC on Wednesday. The game was intense and came down to the wire, but the Ocelots fell short. The Ocelots lost in a heartbreaker against Southeastern; the final  score was 8-7. 

Feb. 28 

Double Header: Schoolcraft vs Louisburg College

The Ocelots played their first game of a double header on Monday against Louisburg. They fell 11-0 against Louisburg, but were determined to bounce back in their next matchup of the day. 

Schoolcraft vs. Howard Community College

Schoolcraft’s second Monday matchup was against Howard. The Ocelots would redeem their shaky start, winning by a score of 5-2 against Howard. The team showed their character by bouncing back after a rough start to the season.