Ocelots extend win streak to 5 with sweep over Macomb

Nolan Gerou, Content Manager

On Thursday, April 13, 2o23, the Schoolcraft College baseball team swept their doubleheader against conference foe, Macomb Community College. The Ocelots were able to get their record over .500 with the sweep. Schoolcraft now stands at 17-16 on the year with a 7-4 conference record. Schoolcraft is tied for second in the eastern division.

Game 1: In the first game of the doubleheader, Schoolcraft was able to jump out to an early lead, scoring six runs in the bottom of the first inning. Schoolcraft would tack on two more runs in the bottom of the second and after two complete innings, the Ocelots were in command, 8-0. Macomb would get on the board in the top of the third, scoring four runs total, all with two outs, including a three run home run. Schoolcraft would respond to Macomb’s four runs with two of their own, putting their lead at 10-4 after three.

Schoolcraft would put up four more runs total, including three in the bottom of the sixth and Macomb would match Schoolcraft with four more runs of their own.

After seven innings, Schoolcraft would find themselves victorious by a score of 14-8. Some highlights in game one include, Andrew Thorning (3-4 with 5 R), Landon Kempainen (2-3 with 2 RBI), Nate Saavedra (2-5 with 3 RBI), and Ryan Koch (2-4 with 2 RBI).

Game 2: Game two had plenty of offense as well, with a walkoff finish for the Ocelots. Game two saw the same start for the Ocelots like game one, a quick one. After three innings of play, Schoolcraft would lead 3-0, including a leadoff home run in the bottom of the first from Sawyer Pace. Macomb would get on the board in the top of the fourth, but, like the first game, Schoolcraft would respond in the bottom half with two of their own. Schoolcraft was up 5-1 after four innings, and would keep that lead until the top of the sixth, when Macomb’s bats would come to life.

Macomb put up three runs in the top of the sixth, thanks to back-to-back home runs. All of a sudden, going into the seventh, Macomb trailed by one. The Monarchs would match their run total from the sixth, putting up three more in the seventh, to lead 7-5 heading into the bottom of the seventh. Schoolcraft would fight their way back to tie the game at seven all, heading into extras. Macomb went down quickly in the top of the eighth and Schoolcraft would go to work in the bottom half.

Slade Douthett would lead the inning off with a triple and all of a sudden, the Ocelots were in business. Macomb would get a strikeout before intentionally walking the bases loaded with one out and the winning run on third base. Freshman, Andrew Thorning would deliever the walkoff single on a sharp line drive up the middle to win the game for the Ocelots. Schoolcraft would win 8-7 in 8 innings of play. Highlights from game 2 include, Sawyer Pace (4-4, 1 HR and 3 R), Andrew Thorning (2-5 with 2 RBI), Landon Kempainen (3-4 with 3 RBI), and Slade Douthett (1-3 with 2 R).