Cheers to another season

Fall sports teams have reasons to celebrate

With the calendar now turning from fall to winter, it’s time to look back at the athletic performances of the fall season. 

Men’s Soccer 

The Men’s soccer team ended their overall season with a 17-4 record overall and 9-1 in conference play. Before going to Nationals, the only two teams they lost to were Northeast Community College and Grand Rapids Community College. While on their own turf they went 8-1 and 6-1 away. The team clinched the Michigan Community College Athletic Association (MCCAA) conference, becoming the #1 seed going into regionals and ranked #6 in the country. 

The men won both NJCAA Region XII Division II games played on Oct. 28 and 29 in Marysville, MI. The team beat Cuyahoga Community College in the semifinal, 3-2 and their championship game 3-1, against Grand Rapids Community College. 

The win moved the Ocelots to the NJCAA Northeast District Championship game held at Schoolcraft College on Nov. 4. 

Last year the Ocelots fell in 2OT during the District Championship to Massasoit Community College ending their bid for a berth in the National tournament. Using the experience they gained, the team was focused on defeating their upcoming opponent and punching their ticket to Nationals. 

The men faced a tough Mercer County Community College with the season on the line and beat Mercer, 2-0. The District win secured the Ocelots ticket to Nationals being held in Tucson, Arizona for the NJCAA DII Championship the week of Nov. 12. On Nov. 13 the Ocelots played Heartland Community College and lost, 4-3. The next day on Nov. 14 the team lost, 4-1 against CCBC Essex. 

The Ocelots were backed all season by two dynamic goalkeepers, sophomore Brenden Ware and freshman Vedad Vila. Ware started 12 of 14 games for the Ocelots and had a goals against average of 1.45 (fifth in the MCCAA). He had logged 1024:24 minutes of playing time and made 71 saves (second in the MCCAA) on the season. Vila started 6 of 7 games, logged 510 minutes and had a goals-against average of 1.94. Both players had exceptional performances this season. 

Forward Dante Davidson led the team with 31 goals (first in the MCCAA conference), followed by forward Tommy Mittelstadt with 16 (fourth in the MCCAA conference), midfielder Gavin Brose with 15 (fifth in the MCCAA conference), and forward Gavin Lamere with 12. 

Women’s Soccer 

The women’s soccer team went 18-7 overall this season and 13-2 in conference play. While at home they held a 10-2 record and 7-2 away. The women, just like the men’s team found success going into the postseason, placed second in the MCCAA, #1 seed in the region and were ranked #8 in the country. 

The Women’s Soccer team found out the Ocelots received a wild card entry on Nov. 7 into the NJCAA Division II national tournament in Tucson, Arizona. (Photo courtesy of Schoolcraft College)

The women played in the NJCAA Region XII Division II regional semifinal on Oct. 28 and won against Muskegon Community College in overtime, 1-0. The team then advanced to the following day for the championship game against Kellogg Community College and fell short 1-0 in overtime. 

Despite what appeared to be a season ending loss at regionals, the Ocelots received a wild card entry on Nov. 7 into the NJCAA Division II national tournament in Tucson, Arizona. On Nov.12 the women lost to Northeast Community College, 2-1. The following day Nov. 13 the team was defeated, 3-1 by Jones College. 

Forward Ashley Hughes and forward Paige Stephens each scored 14 goals this season. Following shortly behind was forward Kyra Brandon with 11 goals. Leading the team with assists was Hughes with 13, defender Samantha Guciardo with 11 and tied at 10 was midfielder Daniel Alvarez and Stephens. 

Jami Martindale backed the team in net and started all 25 games for the Ocelots. She logged 2025:40 minutes of playing time, had a 1.56 goals against average and saved 91 goals she faced. 

Women’s Volleyball 

The volleyball team huddles prior to the start of their match during the 2023 season. (Nolan Gerou)

The women’s volleyball team went 3-17 this season and 3-9 in conference play. While at home the girls went 1-7 and on opposing courts 2-5. Despite what the record indicates, these Ocelots made strides as a team this season. 

The Ocelots beat Oakland Community College, Henry Ford College and Oakland Community College. Amazing performances were shown by Diana Hassan, Kandace Stackpoole, Evelyn Rummel, Lily Timoszyk, Maya Pecovic, Brooke Crawford, Lillian DeJong and Delila Miller. 

Cross Country 

After being in hiatus the Athletics Department brought back the cross country team for the 2023 season. Although a small roster in its return, that didn’t stop the Ocelots from shining. 

This year’s team had two runners, Noah Walters and Ryan Morris. Both runners competed in four invitationals in the NJCAA and MCCAA. 

Left to right: Noah Walters, Coach Tobin
Jones, Ryan Morris posed for a photo,
courtesy of Schoolcraft College, after
Reigonals. (Photo courtesy of Schoolcraft College)

This year at the team’s Regional meet on Oct. 27, Walters took 11th place in the 8000 meter (4.97 miles) with a time of 26:55.7. Morris placed 29th with a time of 28:31.2 during the Regional meet. Morris described his overall experience throughout the season and described his feelings about nationals. Morris

said, “A highlight is obviously, qualifying for nationals. There were ups and downs but overall it was a great experience and I’m looking forward to next year. 

Walters and Morris both finished with excellent times, as mentioned above and advanced to Nationals in Huntsville, Alabama for the NJCAA DII National Cross Country Championship held on Nov. 11. During their time at Nationals, Walters placed 49th overall and had a time of 26:45. Morris took 137th overall and his best time was 28:31. These times came from the 8K race which has a length of 4.97 miles. 

For more information on rosters, stats and schedules go to www.schoolcraftocelots.com.